Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having a problem installing (booting) Linux on my laptop. I've installed linux before on my desktop without much issue. I am trying to just boot the live CD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] General Installation Problem

I am having a problem installing (booting) Linux on my laptop.

I've installed linux before on my desktop without much issue. I am trying to just boot the live CD for BackTrack3, though I'd be open to any distro just to get it working.

The model of laptop is Asus N50VN-A1B w/ Core 2 Duo T5800, 4GB, 250GB, DVD+/-RW, 15.4in WXGA, GeForce 9650M GT.

So, what I am doing is:
    - Inserting boot disk
    - It goes through graffic boot process and then when it loads the gui the screen is black and the curser is in the center and the curser flashes at roughly 5 second intervals on and off.

This is were I get stuck. Any help would be appreciated, if you need more information I'll be happy to supply.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Seems to me like the distro doesn't like your graphics card. It's trying to establish what it is, but it doesn't recognise it, and flickers, trying to find it.

Backtrack uses a very old kernel (on purpose) and so a lot of newer hardware won't work on it. I would suggest you use a mainstream Linux distro, such as Ubuntu (or Kubuntu), using the Linux distribution chooser:

zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

Newer distros such as these would usually have your graphics card fully supported. Besides, you can install Backtrack tools from the repositories of the most used ones anyway.

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply, I'll try that asap and let you know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    I now got ubuntu running fine on here. I think the problem was as you said.

My new problem is I can't get my wireless running. I don't think this is ubuntu related.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest you to start a new thread in Wireless Internet Forum. Make sure to check this thread and post relevant info in your thread too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First