Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just managed to install Puppy linux (puppy-4.1.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey) to an old laptop (Dell Latitude CPt 500mhz, 128MB ram) but I'm having difficulty booting to grub. When booting, the bios ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't boot directly to hard drive - Puppy linux

I have just managed to install Puppy linux (puppy-4.1.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey) to an old laptop (Dell Latitude CPt 500mhz, 128MB ram) but I'm having difficulty booting to grub.
    When booting, the bios says "No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility".
    Setup Utility shows Internal HDD as the first boot device, so that seems ok. I can access grub and boot Puppy linux only by pressing F12 for the boot menu at POST and then selecting Internal HDD, however I would like to not have to do this everytime!! Can anyone help with this?

thanks

James

Linux Guru
    Jamess, I don't think this is a problem with grub or Puppy. The problem believe it or not seems to be with your bios, Since you have to reset the bios to boot from the internal hardrive. All I can say is are you saving changes when you set bios to boot from internal hardrive when in the ssetup utility.

Just Joined!
    Yep, well it was the bios like you said. It turns out that when the boot options are greyed out, that's when they are selected! A confusing bios setup, but it's working now. Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    May I say welcome to the world of Puppy Linux. GLAD everything is sorted out for you.