Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I'll try the CD's on another machine, but tried using CD's that are known to be working and i still get the same error message. also, i dont have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'll try the CD's on another machine, but tried using CD's that are known to be working and i still get the same error message. also, i dont have a winows insallation cd because i bought this computer of ebay. i tried using the toshiba recovery cd, but i still get the same error.

oz
    forum.guy
    Sounds like it might be a bad drive then if you have it set properly for booting from the drive but not any known to be good disks will boot from it. If that's the case, it will always look to the hard disk for a bootloader if one is not found on MBR of the disk currently in the optical drive.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Maybe it's a bad drive, but i was just burning CD's yesterday before all this happened. Is there anything else i can try?
    also thanks for all the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rynlacr View Post
    Maybe it's a bad drive, but i was just burning CD's yesterday before all this happened. Is there anything else i can try?
    also thanks for all the help.
    Testing the disks you burned in another machine to see if they work is probably the best test for those. If they don't work in another machine either, then probably bad burns to disk, bad or poor quality media, or a faulty optical drive used for the burning process. The best test for the drive itself would probably be to replace it and see what happens.

Just curious... what application did you use to burn the ISO files to the disks, and what menu option did you use to perform the burns?
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok i'll test these CD's and get back to you. I am using Active ISO Burner to burn the CD's. Is there better software out there?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rynlacr View Post
    I am using Active ISO Burner to burn the CD's. Is there better software out there?
    There might be, but that should work fine if you are using it properly to burn the files to disk as images. Note that when you take a look at what's on the disk with a file manager, you should see multiple files and folders. If you only see one file, then the disk was burned improperly.

However, seeing as you say that no bootable disk (even when known to be good) will boot from your optical drive, it sounds like either an optical drive issue or perhaps a BIOS issue of some type rather than any kind of Linux issue.
    oz

My suggestion is ... disconnect the hard drive and try booting the PC from a CD ... if this works it will confirm:-
    1. CD is OK
    2. CD drive is OK
    3. Problem is BIOS setup only - check boot order and virus protection.

Just Joined!
    I tried the CD's in another machine and they work fine. I'm at a bit of a dead end here. My computer will not boot to any form of CD, and i have bios set up to boot to CD first, HD second and so one. I have no reason to believe my CD drive isn't working, because whenever i try to boot from a CD i can always here it working only to stop once grub starts. Is there any other method i could use to boot? Could I use a flash drive instead of a CD?

oz
    forum.guy
    Try removing the hard drive as suggested above by Jonathan, or at least see if you can disable it in the BIOS to see if CDs will boot.

Yes, you can boot from a USB device if your BIOS supports it and if whatever is blocking CDs from booting doesn't interfere with the boot process.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I removed the hard drive and now i have no problems booting from live CD's. Thanks for the help guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast