Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im looking for a light fast distro. I tryed puppy linux and I really like it but I cant install it like I can ubuntu or something. And I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Puppy linux/lighter distros

Im looking for a light fast distro. I tryed puppy linux and I really like it but I cant install it like I can ubuntu or something. And I want to be able to use it without the cd being in. Is there a way to install it?

Also what is lighter distro like ubuntu that I can download.
    I like ubuntu but its a little heavy. And I like how mint looks.
    Is there a distro in the middle size not 100mb like puppy and not 700 like mint or ubuntu. And I want it to be able to be installed like ubuntu. And not run off only ram like puupy.

ps:im new here!
    Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what hardware you are running, but you can check the distros listed in this poll because they are all lightweight and one or more of them might work well for your needs even if you don't have older/weaker hardware.

Arch, Debian, and Gentoo are all good for allowing a base system only to be installed, and then you add only the apps that you really want, or need.

Hope you have fun with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what hardware you are running, but you can check the distros listed in this poll because they are all lightweight and one or more of them might work well for your needs even if you don't have older/weaker hardware.

Arch, Debian, and Gentoo are all good for allowing a base system only to be installed, and then you add only the apps that you really want, or need.

Hope you have fun with it.
    Ok so I think debian might be a good option for this computer.
    This cp has 500mb ram and is very old.
    Is there a way to install puppy linux and not have to have the cd in the computer to run it?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by josephcohen View Post
    Is there a way to install puppy linux and not have to have the cd in the computer to run it?
    Here's a HowTo you can follow for installing Puppy Linux to the hard drive if that's what you wish to do:

PuppyHardDriveInstall | Puppy Linux
    oz

Just Joined!
    Here's a HowTo you can follow for installing Puppy Linux to the hard drive if that's what you wish to do:

PuppyHardDriveInstall | Puppy Linux
    What is the lightest distro that you install and is like ubuntu if you know what I mean.
    Not something that runs only on ram or that runs only off a cd. And it will be my main operating system so it needs to feel complete and stuff.

oz
    forum.guy
    Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu, but is lighterweight if that will work for you:

Xubuntu Home Page | Xubuntu

The same goes for Fluxbuntu:

Fluxbuntu Linux

Zenwalk is also very lightweight, but is based on Slackware:

www.zenwalk.org - Ever tried zen computing?

I'm not really sure which of these three distros would be the lightest, but it would probably be Fluxbuntu, or Zenwalk . The good news is that they are all available as free downloads so you can try each as time allows and decide what you like.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu, but is lighterweight if that will work for you:

Xubuntu Home Page | Xubuntu

The same goes for Fluxbuntu:

Fluxbuntu Linux

Zenwalk is also very lightweight, but is based on Slackware:

www.zenwalk.org - Ever tried zen computing?

I'm not really sure which of these three distros would be the lightest, but it would probably be Fluxbuntu, or Zenwalk . The good news is that they are all available as free downloads so you can try each as time allows and decide what you like.
    O thank you! I really like the look of zenware! Im downloading it right now.
    Is slackware good or bad? Or is it just something diffferent. And if zenware doesnt work out Ill prob download xubuntu because its like ubuntu just a little lighter and I like ubuntu.

By the way what is fluxbox? Is it like another desktop enviroment? How does it work? Ive seen itaround but I dont understand? Would fluxbuntu be a good thing to download to try out fluxbox?

oz
    forum.guy
    Slackware is the oldest Linux distribution alive. It's very stable and a favorite of many long time Linux users (I like it), but some new users have problems with it because most of the system configuration is done manually.

Fluxbox is very popular window manager rather than a full desktop environment like Gnome, KDE, and Xfce. Yes, trying Fluxbuntu would be a good way to try Fluxbox.

See the following site for more on window managers and desktop environments:

Window Managers for X
    oz