Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi the problem that's troubling me is how the leave application running after ending my session. i'm using this interactive application that asks all sorts of questions on what to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question leave the application running after logging from your account

hi

the problem that's troubling me is how the leave application running after ending my session. i'm using this interactive application that asks all sorts of questions on what to do next, or to repeat a process, an so on .. and some of this tasks take a long time to manage . so i would like to give an application a task to run , put it in a bg , log of my account (ctrl-d) and come back after an hour or so to continue interacting with my application, as if nothing happened.

it is a perl app an if i put it in a bg with disown %1 it dies. the server doesn-t have a screen mode (i could probably ask administrator to create it) and nohup mode - i don't know how to get back to it(i see the out file that it creates , but i don't know if i can restore that session or not)

thank you

You could run it on one of the virtual terminals, hit CTRL+ALT+F1 and log in and run it there leaving your X session free. Otherwise you could run it as a service/daemon so that it wasn't attached to one user. That of course would require a bit more effort.

If you are running this remotely and are worrying about keeping a ssh session open you can check out screen, which can be detached and attached seperate to your login.
    Code:
    man screen