Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I am new with Linux and newer with DSL. I am using an old enough Single Board Computer with Processor Cyrix MediaGX at 233MHz with only 64MB and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Damn Small Linux

Hi everybody,
    I am new with Linux and newer with DSL.
    I am using an old enough Single Board Computer with Processor Cyrix MediaGX at 233MHz with only 64MB and -of course- DSL. It was built for embedded systems and I want to use it for the same goal. The challenge is to use this SBC completely autonomous, somewhere in this big word, with time-to-time vnc link to see what it is doing. And now my question: How can I have this started with no worry about power failure and with a watchdog that should reboot it when something is going wrong? That means "no human presence" (password, etc...) start for web server, ssh, ftp, vnc, ... daemons. And I forgot to add: no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor only the Ethernet link.

Thank you,
    teo_kan

Linux Guru
    For power dips or failures it's good to have one of these

APC Back-UPS ES 350 UPS - 200 Watt - Lead acid

with a watchdog that should reboot it when something is going wrong? That means "no human presence" (password, etc...) start for web server, ssh, ftp, vnc, ... daemons
    That I wouldn't know about.

Just Joined!

Watchdog timer

Assuming the specific cpu does in fact have a watchdog timer(it probably does), you would probably have to write a driver for it, but you may want to look into some drivers for linux distros that run on wyse winterms as i believe some of them use that same specific cpu and you may be able to find more information there. You could maybe do with rewriting some kernel hooks to just reboot in case something goes wrong software wise is another possible option i would assume.

try:
    WYSE Winterm hacking - The machine - Linux for the 3000 series

Maybe they will have a setup like what your looking for, hope this helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Small Damn Linux login

Thank you for your answer.
    But my english is "guilty" for my wrong question's form.

My box will be in a remote location with no one to start / stop it or to plug / unplug keyboard, mouse, monitor to see what is wrong.
    In fact I need a way to skip the boot login procedure, without reinstall everything, because I need that my Linux start /boot /reboot by himself, when something is going wrong (with /without watchdog), and all daemons (ftp, web, ssh, etc...) are running when I login remotely (with ssh and vnc support).

Thank you for your time,