Find the answer to your Linux question:
From I have seen Xandros looks really cool. It has its own Firewall and Antivirus. From what I understand it can also support some Windows software out of the package. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Is Xandros any good?

From I have seen Xandros looks really cool. It has its own Firewall and Antivirus. From what I understand it can also support some Windows software out of the package. I was just wondering if the Operating System was any good. I do not want to waste $100 on something that is total junk.

Quote Originally Posted by monster_eater123 View Post
    From I have seen Xandros looks really cool. It has its own Firewall and Antivirus. From what I understand it can also support some Windows software out of the package. I was just wondering if the Operating System was any good. I do not want to waste $100 on something that is total junk.
    Xandros at one time offered things that no other Linux distribution had, and I purchased it at that time. Since then the project has become increasingly irrelevant as the free-of-charge distributions offer mostly the same features with a lot more flexibility on the configuration side.

All versions of Linux have a built-in firewall called iptables. You can install secondary firewalls on your own, for free, if you so desire. Ubuntu has a firewall built-in called ufw, and I use that in combination with a graphical interface called Firestarter.

Antivirus is essentially not necessary on a Linux system unless you want to specifically keep your Linux box from spreading files infected with Microsoft Windows or OS X viruses. In that case there are free antivirus suites that work just fine for that. One is ClamAV, and its graphical frontend ClamTK.

Xandros offers a nice bridge between the look and feel of Windows and the look and feel of Linux. That much is true. However if you ever want to dig further into the OS and not risk breaking something you might seriously consider using a different Linux, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, or OpenSuSE.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I tried Fedora and it was not apealing to me and I have Ubuntu installed a a drive in my gamming rig.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close