Hi There,

I know this is an old posting but I got the same error and I found out what is wrong. It's to do with the version of tail.

Some versions of tail accept a parameter like +10, which means return all lines after the first ten, but other versions of tail don't accept such parameters. The script in the rpm.bin calls tail +479 but with the version of tail being used it fails. It thinks +479 is a file name and can't chop the file properly.

I got around this by using ' tail -$(($(wc -l j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin) - 477)) j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin > j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm'

This command creates a file that is the same as j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin without the first 477 lines.

Then run:
chmod a+x ./j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm
./j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm

which will create an rpm file called glibc-headers-2.5-3.i386.rpm that you can install in the usual way e.g. rpm -iv glibc-headers-2.5-3.i386.rpm

Regards,
Stef