Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anybody know how to perform an update of CentOS 5.2 using the shell? Thanks in advance...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Update command on CentOS 5.2

Does anybody know how to perform an update of CentOS 5.2 using the shell?

Thanks in advance

You can use default Package Manager, yum to update any/all packages. Check here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    OK, that helped but my hosting company configured yum to only look in their servers, so if you can tell me where I can find more repositories/mirrors for updates and how to configure yum to look there instead of my hosting company's servers.

Thanks in advance,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Check additional repositories here and here. Either install repos as suggested in the links or create repository_name.repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d folder.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Great it's showing m now the CentOS repos, thanks a lot, but now I have another question:

If I want to upgrade PHP from original (5.1.6) to latest (5.2) what do I have to write?

Itried "yum update php" but it says no packages to update.

Any help would be appreciated.

my guess is that php 5.1.x is the only thing in the repo, the newest version isn't necessarily available, is there a specific feature you need from 5.2? If not, its best to stick with what the package manager has, otherwise you should uninstall the php5 from system and install php5 from source (which will put a burden on you for updating it manually for security updates)

Just Joined!
    Yes I do need 5.2 for Drupal 6 modules to work, but I've seen at RPM Search that php 5.2 is available for CentOS 5 but I don't want to do it that way because of all the requirements it needs I just want it to take everything it needs from the repo server and install it.

you should be able to manually install the requirements for that rpm using yum, however they might also not be available

Just Joined!
    I found one:

Chack rpm.pbone.net, they have a YUM Repo very good, I just updated my PHP using them.

Thanks for all your help