Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I'm new on the forum and I hope you guys can help me out. I hate to see my old computer collecting dust in the basement so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro recommendation for my config.

Hello everyone, I'm new on the forum and I hope you guys can help me out. I hate to see my old computer collecting dust in the basement so I thought to make use of it again. I would like to use it as an access point for internet at home, but if that's not possible then surfing and listening music would do.

It's an 486 with 133MHz, 4MB RAM (I could get it up to 8MB) and 1.2GB HDD. I was searching for a suitable distro for this config. for quite some time but did not find what I was looking for. Most of them require at least 16MB of RAM like DSL and such, and the ones that need less, don't have a GUI (which is important to me).

I hope you can help me with this, thanks!

Linux Guru
    Your ram specs make a GUI Linux ? at best. You might be able to start out with what I am providing and install Openbox or fluxbox GUI after initial install. What the heck, it'll at least install with your specs, but no GUI dude. sorry.

ttylinux requirements and features

Linux Guru
    Maybe/Maybe not on this one also.

TinyFlux 1.0: Minimal Linux Distro - Linux * Screw

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close