Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing Fedora 10 with grub4dos

I wanted to install Fedora 10 without need of using optical drive.

I downloaded following files:
    Fedora 10 live CD
    Grub4dos (grldr)

added
    Code:
    C:\grldr="Start GRUB4DOS"
    into my boot.ini file
    and created menu.lst file:
    Code:
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    timeout 10
    default /default

title fedora10
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies /F10.iso
    map /F10.iso (hd32)
    map --hook
    root (hd32)
    chainloader --force /isolinux/isolinux.bin
    boot
    Now there is a problem with following error:
    Code:
    -----------
    WARNING: Cannot find root file system!
    -----------
    Create symlink /dev/root and then quit this shell to continue the boot sequence.
    Right.

I got /F10.iso on (hd0,4) ntfs partition, which Fedora 10 is unable to mount.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Re: Installing Fedora 10 with grub4dos

Hey,

I am interested in doing the same thing. I was searching for some info on it and came across your post

I don't think you can use the iso as it is because it is not supported as mentioned here:
    Grub4dos tutorial - Grub4Dos Wiki

what I am trying to do is, I have created a /boot partition in my C: drive and copied the vmlinuz and initrd.img images to it and tried booting, You will also need to copy the LiveOS folder from the iso to the C: drive.

However since my drive is NTFS, the rootfstype=ntfs argument causes problem
    Here is my Grub4Dos menu.lst for your reference

Code:
    default 0
    timeout 20

title Fedora Live
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz0 root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ntfs ro quiet liveimg rhgb
    initrd=(hd0,0)/boot/initrd0.img 

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader  +1
    I'm still looking for more info on this. Will keep you posted if there's any luck.
    Do let me know if you come across anything helpful

Done without using any removable media.
    1. I installed debian (Say goodbye to Microsoft. Now.)
    2. Copied contents of LiveCD disc:
    Code:
    mkdir /CD
    mount /Fedora10.iso /CD
    cd /CD
    cp -rf * /
    It's possible to create ext3fs partition and copy data on it without use of linux, but it's not as simple as it should be. ;P

Then I added following lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst (i think it would be also possible on grub4dos menu.lst).
    Code:
    title F10CD
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz0 root=/dev/sda5 ro
    initrd /isolinux/initrd0.img
    boot
    You have to know on which partition is debian installed (look at its section in menu.lst).

Remember that there is difference between /dev/hda5 (debian) and /dev/sda5 (fedora).

That's it!

BTW, fedora seems to be unable to mount fat16/32/ntfs partitions, works with iso9660, but grub4dos isn't supporting iso9660, so there might be no other way to install it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well I got something similar done as well although I got fedora to boot from the FAT32 parition. Looks like fedora doesn't have ntfs support in the kernel so NTFS doesn't work.

kernel (hd0,0)/liveos/vmlinuz0 root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=vfat ro quiet liveimg rhgb
    initrd=(hd0,0)/liveos/initrd0.img

But this doesn't help me boot other distros (like Antix) that keep searching for the cd, it would have been great booting from iso directly was possible.

Well there is possibility to create iso9660 partition, then use dd to copy contents of disc and chainload a partition. Then add root=/dev/sdaX to kernel options. But i don't know if is that working...

iso9660 partition is highly uncessary, any partition other than ntfs would do for fedora, for other distros like slitaz, grml etc ntfs also works.