Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Xandros and Windows Xp on my computer on the same hard drive. I can use the internet on Xandros but not on Windows. My internet company told ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Linux and Windows XP

I am running Xandros and Windows Xp on my computer on the same hard drive. I can use the internet on Xandros but not on Windows. My internet company told me that it is because Linux always takes precedent over Windows and doesn't allow Windows to access the things it needs to connect to the internet. Is there any way to get around this? Is that even true? I don't really know how to use Linux, so could somebody please give me a thorough explantion on what to do if I can do anything? Thanks.

Wilson14

Hello and Welcome.
    I think the above statement is not true, it's a Windows specific problem, unless you are running a virtual environment the two OS's have nothing to do with each other. Your Internet company does not offer support for Linux and will use this fact to get out of helping you with your Windows problems by claiming that Linux is the problem.
    EDIT: Call your Internet company again, and this time do not tell them you have Linux, do not even say the word "Linux" you will get a friendlier response.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure what a virtual environment is. Do you have any advice or things that I could try to fix this?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson14 View Post
    I'm not sure what a virtual environment is. Do you have any advice or things that I could try to fix this?
    Regarding virtual environments, you can check this link for information on running virtual machines.

You'll need to go into Windows XP and configure your internet connection properly before it will work. You can check this page for steps in doing that. The Microsoft HowTo is for dialup, though. Check this one for a wireless network.

Hope it all works out for you.
    oz

what is your isp or connection ?linux usually sets up dhcp protocol for network connection either for lan or dsl. cable internet may require changing the settings
    if your xandros is working you need to go into windows, network connections,local area connection properties, internet protocol(tcp/ip) properties.
    Make sure that you click obtain an ip address automatically and obtain dns server address automatically and select ok ( if your network supports this capability)
    it should unless you are on a propietary network too much blood in my caffeine system

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson14 View Post
    I am running Xandros and Windows Xp on my computer on the same hard drive. I can use the internet on Xandros but not on Windows. My internet company told me that it is because Linux always takes precedent over Windows and doesn't allow Windows to access the things it needs to connect to the internet. Is there any way to get around this? Is that even true? I don't really know how to use Linux, so could somebody please give me a thorough explantion on what to do if I can do anything? Thanks.
    Wilson14
    Are you running the two operating systems at the same time? Perhaps with some sort of virtualization software? Unless they're running in tandem the statement from your ISP is completely false and physically impossible. In a dual-boot system where one OS is running at a time, Windows XP is completely unaware of the existence of a Linux partition at all. It just shows up as unknown space.

This sounds to me like an issue you're having with the XP operating system. What kind of internet are you connecting to? Cable? DSL? Are you using a router?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants