Find the answer to your Linux question:
My desktop computer has XP and Sabayon 4 installed on it, but grub was setting the Windows option to boot (hd0,0) chainliader +1 when selected, which is my windows recovery ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB command line booting - i messed it up, how do i fix it?

My desktop computer has XP and Sabayon 4 installed on it, but grub was setting the Windows option to boot (hd0,0) chainliader +1 when selected, which is my windows recovery partition. I edited /boot/grub/grub.conf to make it boot (hd0,1) chainloader +1 which is XP (I tried first by editing it when grub loads) but now when i restart it opens to the command line interface which I am unfortunately clueless about. I'm assuming if I can change it back grub will work right again (I hope) but for now I don't know how to boot anything. I know my linux partition is (hd0,2) and typing 'root (hd0,2)' into the command line it says "Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

If someone could help me within the next few hours that would be great, I won't be here for a week starting tomorrow and I don't want to leave my parents with a broken computer, and would drfinitely prefer not to have to wipe it and reinstall windows before I can go.

Linux Guru
    Posting your partition information with 'fdisk -l' command (lower case letter L) as well as the contents of your /boot/grub/menu.lst (or grub.conf?) file would be helpful.