Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I downloaded the Nvidia driver from their website. But, during the driver install, I keep getting error messages saying that the driver installation can't find certain dependencies in the pathway ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I downloaded the Nvidia driver from their website. But, during the driver install, I keep getting error messages saying that the driver installation can't find certain dependencies in the pathway like "gcc" and "binutils". I installed those dependencies using the package manager. The third dependency needed is the "kernel-devel" package. I installed it, but during the Nvidia driver installation, it keeps saying I don't have it installed even though I do so it's apparently not recognizing where it is and I'm too new to Linux to understand which directory the "kernel-devel" package got installed to. And even if I did, I don't know the command to tell the installation where the package is installed at so it can find it.

It's usually far easier to use the Package Manger to install these things.
    Go to System -> Administration -> Add/Remove Software. You'll find nVidia drivers there, and all dependencies should be resolved automatically.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I already tried looking in the package manager for the Nvidia drivers. I found nothing. Is there a specific word or words I should look for?

So, adding on to what I already typed above, I googled around and found a site to give me step by step instructions on how to use the "sudo" command to download and install the proper Nvidia driver. Well, it all seemed to go well at first. It downloaded and installed without any problems. Well, upon restarting the x server, I came upon an issue and the x server wouldn't restart so I restarted the computer. Now Fedora refuses to even boot up. After doing the whole loading bar at the bottom of the screen, the screen goes all black for a moment and when it should light up and load the user login screen, it doesn't. The screen remains black. Now, I can't even login to uninstall the stupid driver. I really don't want to reinstall Fedora if I don't have to. This stupid driver is really starting to piss me off. I only want it because my Nvidia card has dual heads for two monitors. Otherwise, I'd be content just using the motherboard VGA port. Looking back now, I remember that during my last attempt to install the driver I installed a Livna video driver because the site said something about Livna somehow being a part of Nvidia or something. I can't remember specifically. Maybe it was a substitue. Anways, my only thoughts are that those two drivers are possibly incompatible or fighting over the monitors. Those are my only thoughts because I don't know how Linux reacts to that kind of thing. Should I just reinstall Fedora or is there a way around this?

Keyword "nVidia"
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    All I get is "no results found". Is there a possible package update or repository update or something I can try by command line or something?

Post the output of
    Code:
    yum repolist
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    $ yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
    repo id repo name status
    fedora Fedora 10 - i386 enabled : 11,416
    updates Fedora 10 - i386 - Updates enabled : 4,262
    repolist: 15,678

Do you have a AIM, YIM or MSN id? It would make the communication process a lot faster. If you do and you're ok with chatting that way, to keep it hidden you can send it to my email at mass.nuker@yahoo.com just let me know which client(s) the id(s) are for.

You'll need to add some more repositories to get what you need. Check out this page for some easy set-up:
    Personal Fedora 10 Installation Guide
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Adding the extra repositories worked great. I now have the nVidia driver installed. I really appriciate your help with all that. I hate to have to ask this, but now how do I get both monitors to work noticing my GeForce card has dual heads? I went to Applications>System Tools>nVidia Dispaly Settings and clicked on "X Server Display Configuration" and then in the right side of the window under "Display" tab I clicked "Configure" and there are 3 options there, but 2 of the 3 are greyed out. The one used is "Separate X Screen". The one that is greyed out that I think I need is "TwinView (requires X restart". If I'm right so far, do you know how I'd get the twinview option to be enabled? However, if I'm wrong, what should I do?

Adding on to the above, I installed the driver and it seemed good at first, but now everytime I start up Linux, about 10 seconds later I get a kernel failure warning, maybe 10 seconds later, my system freezes. It doesn't even give me enough time to undo what I did. I'll try the other driver. There was only two for my card. One ended in (i386) (which is the one I went with) while the other ended with (i386) PAE or something like that. I'll try the PAE one to see if I get better results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2