Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've already tried the latest stable released of Fedora, Debian, Mandriva (also the Mandriva Spring 2008.1 version) and the latest of PCLinuxOS and all have failed. The Fedora and Mandriva ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux won't boot on my system

I've already tried the latest stable released of Fedora, Debian, Mandriva (also the Mandriva Spring 2008.1 version) and the latest of PCLinuxOS and all have failed. The Fedora and Mandriva LiveCD's booted up just fine, but after installation, the OS's refuses to load on there own. I used a cd to install Debian (not a LiveCD) and everything went fine until first bootup. I found a LiveCD for PCLinuxOS, but that LiveCD refused to boot up at all. Everytime I try booting up PCLinuxOS, it fails and I get a bunch of scrolling on the screen. During bootup it comes around the part where it's saying something like setting up graphics card or trying to find or initiate it or something and it randomly just starts scrolling on the screen with a bunch of coding I don't understand. With Fedora, after installing from LiveCD, it actually logged on, but only second after reaching desktop it would just feeze no matter what I was doing (which was basically nothing cause you can't do much in a few seconds, if anything at all). Debian refused to even load up after installation. It doesn't even get very far during bootup. And Mandriva gave me the same output with both versions I used. It too gives me the scrolling at a certain point during boot up, however, it doesn't start scrolling around the graphics card like PCLinuxOS does, it nearly loads up all the way, then scrolls with code. Sometimes the scrolling ends with "trace end" or "kernel panic" or something like that. I use to think these were just bugs with Linux, but I doubt that every distro I have tried would have issues. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's got to be my system. But, I've loaded and ran Mandriva Linux Spring 2008.1 on here before as a stand alone OS as well as did a dual boot with Vista on here before too and it worked both times. However, ever since I reformatted my system and went back to Vista, no Linux distro has successfully booted and installed on my pc. Only LiveCD's seem to boot now. Is it possibly my pc hardware? If not, then what? I'd love to run Linux on here again so if anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. Oh, also forgot to mention, during boot ups, I did try options like "safe boot", "apm=off", "acpi=off", and even tried console mode PCLinuxOS and still nothing worked. I don't know what those commands mean exactly, but commands like those have helped me successfully boot Linux in the past.

Is it possibly my pc hardware
    Need to know your computer specs, (ram specs, processor speed), plus make and model of your computer would be a big help also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

sounds like a graphics issue, you should choose text mode installer and then after you install we can configure graphics easily

Just Joined!
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, 32bit processor. It has no make and model, I built it. But, if it helps, the motherboard is ASUStek and I have an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.

Coopstah is right. It's a graphic card issue. If You can use your onboard motherboard video plug on the back of computer instead of Nvidea card. You will get a Desktop and we can show you how to download Nvidea Driver for your card .
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Agreed. The issue is with your graphics card. But the good news is that nVidia is pretty easy to work with on Linux.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Coopstah and Rokytnji, you were both right, it was my NVidia graphics card. After changing the settings in the BIOS to use the the VGA port on the motheboard, PCLinuxOS booted up just fine using the LiveCD. Installation went well and it even booted up nicely after installing without needing the cd. So, I now have Linux on this pc which I'm very happy about. Thanks for the help on that, I really appricate it. But now, how do I install the NVidia driver so I can use my graphics card?

Enable Nvidia Card and check if machine boot up from Hard disk in Safe Graphics Mode. If it does, install Nvidia Driver through Hardware Drivers option in Menu.
    If machine is booting up in Single User Mode only, you can install driver manually.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Ok, I'm editing a post I made earlier because I got rid of PCLinuxOS because it had a Windows feel to it and the whole point of me using Linux is to get away from the Windows OS..feel and all. I'm now running Fedora 10 and it too is running wonderfully. However, I'm still trying to get the Nvidia driver to work. I've had to install a few dependencies, but I'm now stuck where it's saying I need to install "kernel-devel" or "kernel-source". I checked for packages and found no "kernel-source" but did find two "kernel-devel" packages. I tried both (separately) and neither one seem to do the trick. Everytime I keep trying to install the driver I got from Nvidia's site, it keeps saying I need the "kernel" package. How do I get around this? Is there another way to install this driver?

How did you go about getting the drivers? If you went to the package manager then all the dependencies should be taken care of automatically.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast