Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cannot add items to panel

Linux Linpus Lite.

I accidentally erased the panels so that the clock, power, wirless icon etc disappeared. I managed to add a new panel (xfce4-panel), but I cannot add any items to this panel. When I right click on the panel nothing happens, the panel manager does not have an option to add items to the panel either. The panel shows a star figure and when the cursor hovers over it I get this message....'New item-this item has not been configured yet'

can anyone please help?

Many Thanks in advance

Hi, Jane! Welcome to LinuxForums!

I don't actually use Xfce, so I won't be able to dig super deep here. But I did some Googling and found this page:
    faq [Xfce wiki]

I hope it helps, but if not I'm sure that an Xfce user will chime in to help you further.

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Thanks, but that did not work. Please can someone help!

4. $spacer_open
    Boston, MA
    Try deleting the config files in your home directory.
    rm -r ~/.config/xfce4
    Then log out and back in.

I tried that, it deleted all the config files but the problem is still present. I just cannot add any icons etc to the panel, the panel manager has no 'add' option and the panel itself shows nothing upon a right-click.

Hi, I could not get almost anything work (after creating a new user account) until I made sure the user was assigned to 'wheel' group. Don't know what's your situation, but maybe worth checking.