Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I am running DSL in a VM using VirtualBox that has some custom software loaded in it so we can send it out to customers on a CD. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Automatically run FSCK at boot?

Hi all. I am running DSL in a VM using VirtualBox that has some custom software loaded in it so we can send it out to customers on a CD.

My problem is that when I close the VM the way a novice computer user will, which is basically pulling the plug on the VM and then restart the VM, I get a message that FSCK has failed and I need to repair it manually and reboot. Once I manually mount the drive and then run fsck and reboot, it works fine.

I am trying to find a way to have linux run mount the drive and run fsck at boot every time whether or not it is needed, in order to fix this issue so it never happens again.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
    REM2500

Welcome to the forums REM2500

I don't think fsck should be run on a mounted partition ... maybe better to get the end user to shutdown the VM correctly

Just Joined!
    I wish I could have them shut down the VM properly, but that's just not an option. They are not even logging into Linux on the VM...

What I am doing is setting up a custom web app to run inside the VM that they can hit the app with their web browser on their PC. Once they are done, all they do is hit the X on the VM window and it closes. Then when the VM is restarted, I get the error described above...

Thanks

How about a workaround? If it's only running in a VM, maybe include a shutdown button within the webapp?

Linux Guru
    The best protection against corruption from a hard poweroff is a natively-journaled filesystem. With that in place, the log is replayed automatically after a power loss.

My own preference is reiserfs (for / or small files) and XFS (for filesystems with large files.)

* EXT3 is not a natively-journaled filesystem.