Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lilo and GRUB are Boot Loaders. Most distros are using GRUB as default Boot Loader these days. /boot/grub/grub.conf ( or menu.lst ) file has GRUB configuration and /etc/lilo.conf serves as Lilo's conf file.

I think I'll move onto checking out display of the X Windows side of things while I'm about it, so that info you folks have advised me on will be useful also.
    Post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and output of this
    Code:
    su -
    lspci | grep -i vga
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I think I'll move onto checking out display of the X Windows side of things while I'm about it, so that info you folks have advised me on will be useful also.
    You're looking at X, but this thread has inspired me to run without it for awhile. Thanks!

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...tml#post685306

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    You're looking at X, but this thread has inspired me to run without it for awhile. Thanks!

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...tml#post685306
    Excellent! I'll follow your thread with interest. Nothing like jumping in the deep end sometimes is there

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes I can confirm that KateOS 3.6 is definitely using GRUB.

I'll post up the output from lspci over the weekend, tomorrow hopefully. I've done it and piped the output into a file ... and now realise I need to either mount a USB drive and/or set up the network to my Linux PC before I can get the output to the big wide world. Highly educational this is all becoming! I think I'll do both as part of my learning endeavours ... all suggestions gratefully received

Incidentally, I notice that menu.lst seems to effectively be pointing at grub.conf ... what actually is it that is going on here, and what is the terminology?

RedHat based distros use grub.conf file. Other distros uses menu.lst file and its symlinked to grub.conf.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    RedHat based distros use grub.conf file. Other distros uses menu.lst file and its symlinked to grub.conf.
    Got it ~ thanks.