Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've installed XDSL onto my old xbox as I want it to be a network connection for a 500Gb media USB HDD that lives next to the TV. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X-DSL media server problem

Hi all,

I've installed XDSL onto my old xbox as I want it to be a network connection for a 500Gb media USB HDD that lives next to the TV.

I've got a small bit of experience of Linux (Ubuntu on a EEEPC I got my lass for Chrimbo)

I've installed SAMBA and I've added the 'MASTERPC' IP address to this (this is a Vista machine)

I've also found the MASTERPC through SMBClient

Problems / Question:

There doesn't seem to be a simple 'Network' program to browse to the Vista machine (to play media files for example) - what would you recommend - this would need to be really intuitive as I want my kids to use this to access their films etc

and the Vista machine isn't finding the Xbox on the network so I can't save files to the Xbox HDD (let alone the USB HDD which I have yet to set up)

All this and I still haven't got a keyboard or mouse for it yet so I'm doing it with the xbox con troller and a virtual keyboard - no fun

I feel like I'm 90% of the wAy there and just need a bt of help to pull it all together - can you help?

Thanks - sorry for the long post

Just Joined!
    Bumpity-bump

In summary:

What's a good program for viewing the whole network and, secondly, how do I make the linux box visible on my home network?

All help greatly appreciated

Thanks