Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running KateOS 3.6 and want to see what services are running. From what I gather (I'm very new at this) 'chkconfig' should be the command to use for this, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BASH, services & chkconfig - help please

I'm running KateOS 3.6 and want to see what services are running. From what I gather (I'm very new at this) 'chkconfig' should be the command to use for this, but the command is not recognised in BASH, even if running in a root login. Seems very odd. Doesn't show up in the help either. Should there be any version of Linux that doesn't provide a full set of BASH commands? BASH claims to be at v3.1.17(2).

What I am actually trying to establish is if a firewall is running. Being so new to Linux, every time I try to find the answer to a question, the answer seems to get obscured by 10 new questions! Most frustrating.

Just Joined!
    chkconfig (if i recall) is a RedHat script (I am not sure what KateOS is based on btw) - that you can use to set which services start at boot up and at different runlevels.

The command to find out what processes are running on your machine is "ps".

at your bash prompt (as root), try a:

# ps -A v

and scroll through the output. Alternatively, if you are trying to check whether a particular service has loaded or not, try the following:

# ls /etc/init.d/

Look through the list of files until you find the one that corresponds to the firewall script (if it is there) then

# /etc/init.d/myfirewall status

replace "myfirewall" with the name of the script that you want to check.

Just Joined!
    Many thanks. Probably going to be a day or two before I can get back to this now, but I'll let you know how it goes once I do.

KateOS is based on Slackware, though the latest version (3.6) has apparently diverged slightly from it compared to earlier versions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK - I'm back onto this.

What I've been trying to do is ...
    • Having now got the network up and running, and got web access, I want to be sure Linux has a firewall running.
    • I want to be able to transfer files to and fro between my Windows and Linux PCs. Ideally so shared drives can be accessed over the network, else set up FTP.

Decided to give NFS a go, and because it seemed to hang at startup trying to fire up NFS, I forcibly powered off ... messing up one of my partitions. I seem to have sorted it now.

So now I've progressed onto the next problem! Not knowing if the firewall - if it's even running - is giving me problems with NFS? Or if my NFS problems are all to do with NFS not being set up right. Possibly both.

So being as I started this thread off with regards to the firewall, I'll stick with that and if necessary start up a seperate thread for NFS.

So the firewall ... I am still thoroughly confused. I don't have a /etc/init.d/ directory.

None of the processes show any obvious (so me) suggestion of firewalls. But I do know (didn't when I started this thread) that at startup the output does claim to be successfully starting the firewall. But I'd like to understand better than that. I don't know whose firewall it is, nor how to interrogate it nor configure it ... it would be nice to get to know it a bit beyond just some nebulous startup message. And I don't have a clue how to dig any deeper!

EDIT: Just to add insult to injury, having started up with the live disc it is now "well hung"! I know when I do a normal reboot it hangs around several minutes trying to get NFS going - presumably it times out in the end in disgust. (Obviously telling me something). But now with it totally locked up (Ctl-Alt-Del no effect), is there any way of shutting down without killing the file system again? I just wanted to browse the live disc to see what configuration utilities it might have on it.

Just Joined!
    I suggest you use Samba, and either:.

A)set up a windows share and mount it on the linux computer using Samba

B) set up a samba share on the linux machine and mount it on the windows machine.

as for having no init.d, I understand now - You are using KateOS which is a variant of Slackware, right? The directly for your scripts is /etc/rc.d, and it should be somewhere in there.

Just Joined!
    Yes absolutely right - Slackware and dirs as you say. Before I go any further I'm going to reinstall with ReiserFS file systems, being as my efforts seem to be routinely breaking ext2. Thanks for your help so far.

Just Joined!
    Done - Samba share on Linux machine now accessible from my Windows PC. All sorts of aggro along the way. In case it's any use to anyone else, here are the "highlights" ...

Though Samba is packaged with KateOS, the necessary daemons did not run even after enabling Samba service and rebooting. Realised smb.conf not set up and all the documentation seemed to suggest it was horribly complicated ... then I discovered SWAT, which gives a nice web-based graphical front end to configuring Samba. Except that SWAT would not run! ... due to needing inetd or xinetd to be running ... my setup comes with xinetd but doesn't run by default - had to enable it specifically. With the more obvious SWAT settings my Linux PC then appeared in Windows network neighbourhood, albeit no share apparent.

Then noticed that smb.conf had a line saying "available=no". Being as SWAT stamps over any changes you make in this file I went back to SWAT - the only thing I could see that might be a problem also seemed very unlikely - did I want event logging available or not. I enabled it anyway and restarted all the daemons; the dodgy line disappeared from smb.conf and lo and behold my share appeared in Windows!

One mistake (of many!) I made was giving the share a name of "/share" - the '/' confused Windows good and proper. Happened because I was unsure what SWAT was asking me at the time. With "LinuxShare" it worked much better.

Then had read-only access to my Linux share from Windows ... at last I could shift data between the two! ... even if it was only one-way. So I then disabled read-only in SWAT and fiddled with the share directory permissions ... and it works! Full two-way file transfer from my Windows PC. Found I had to enable r/w access for all 3 user groups on my Linux share directory - not sure it this is the best way or not.

And after all that I decided to then look at how complicated my smb.conf file had ended up, and this is it! ...

# Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
    # Date: 2009/04/20 22:13:25

[global]

[LinuxShare]
    comment = Linux Share
    path = /share
    read only = No

... but a very useful and rather satisfying learning experience nonetheless.

With two way file transfer from my Windows box, this is all I needed to achieve - which is just as well because the next thing I tried has me stumped. I decided to try and access a Windows share from Linux, using the Samba utility 'smbclient'. But I always get a NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE after entering what I know is the correct password for the Windows user I'm logging on as. A web search shows this to be a very common problem hit by lots of others, none of which seem to have found an answer. So unless anyone has an off-the-peg answer to this issue I shall leave it for the moment, so I can get onto other stuff.