Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, new here, not to Yoper, but i have a small problem. Here follows message. root@yos ~ # apt-get update Get:1 ftp://apt.yoper.com version2 release [344B] Get:2 ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib release Ign ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

APT problem, please help

Hi, new here, not to Yoper, but i have a small problem. Here follows message.

root@yos ~ # apt-get update
    Get:1 ftp://apt.yoper.com version2 release [344B]
    Get:2 ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib release
    Ign ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib release
    Fetched 344B in 5s (60B/s)
    Get:1 ftp://apt.yoper.com version2/os pkglist [1804B]
    Get:2 ftp://apt.yoper.com version2/os release [121B]
    Get:3 ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os pkglist
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os pkglist
    Unable to fetch file, server said 'Error opening file; No such file or directory. '
    Get:4 ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os release
    Ign ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os release
    Get:5 ftp://apt.yoper.com version2/os srclist
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com version2/os srclist
    Unable to fetch file, server said 'Error opening file; No such file or directory. '
    Get:6 ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os srclist
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os srclist
    Fetched 1925B in 6s (290B/s)
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/contrib/base/pkglist.os Unable to fetch file, server said 'Error opening file; No such file or directory. '
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/version2/base/srclist.os Unable to fetch file, server said 'Error opening file; No such file or directory. '
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/contrib/base/srclist.os Unable to fetch file, server said 'Error opening file; No such file or directory. '
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    W: Release file did not contain checksum information for ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/version2/base/srclist.os
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    root@yos ~ # apt-get upgrade
    The following packages will be upgraded
    apt
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1588kB of archives.
    After unpacking 1568kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    Get:1 ftp://apt.yoper.com version2/os apt 0.5.15cnc6-rb15 [1588kB]
    Fetched 1588kB in 15s (99.4kB/s)
    Committing changes...
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    1:apt warning: /etc/apt/sources.list created as /etc/apt/sources.list.rpmnew
    ########################################### [100%]
    Retrieving the list of mirrors from www.yoper.com...

--20:40:24-- http://www.yoper.com/mirror_list
    => `/tmp/mirror_list'
    Resolving www.yoper.com... 66.54.199.165
    Connecting to www.yoper.com[66.54.199.165]:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    20:40:25 ERROR 404: Not Found.

/usr/bin/netselect-yoper: wget failed. Please try to correct the problem by reading the wget messages printed above.
    Done.
    root@yos ~ # apt-get install firefox
    E: Couldn't find package firefox

It wont find packages i know are there, from a previos install. Any ideas?

the server is in a "voluntary outage"
    Yoper.com

Just Joined!
    I knew the website was down, but i wasnt aware that the apt server was gone aswell. Thanks for allaying my fears. BTW, Lakerdonald, thanks for 2 things, a: the prompt reply, pretty sweet. Also, your howto on getting the netgear wg511 working, very clear and concise. Thanks very much.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oh do you have that card too? yeah
    that card can be a ***** (especially with gentoo)

Just Joined!
    Hehe, well, its a funny sotry behind that one. I was using XP when i first got a wireless network. SO i started using netstumbler. Then a friend heard about Kismet, so i wanted to try. I downloaded a bootable linux called Auditor, But it didnt work with my Belkin f5d6020, so i tried to use a netgear wg511, and it worked, so i knew i had to get one of those. I was pricing up some stuff, and the wg511 showed up, these were clearnence items. I told my manager they wernet worth much, since, it had no box or drivers. And he let me have it for $7. Bargain imo!

i got mine for like 40 bucks in july
    damn you bestbuy

Just Joined!
    Umm, yoper.com is up, but i still cant apt-get, heres the message

Err ftp://apt.yoper.com version2 release
    Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib release
    Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com version2/os pkglist
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com version2/os release
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os pkglist
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os release
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com version2/os srclist
    Err ftp://apt.yoper.com contrib/os srclist
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/version2/base/release Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/contrib/base/release Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/version2/base/pkglist.os Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/version2/base/release.os Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/contrib/base/pkglist.os Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/contrib/base/release.os Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/version2/base/srclist.os Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    Failed to fetch ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper/contrib/base/srclist.os Could not connect to apt.yoper.com:21 (66.54.199.165). - connect (111 Connection refused)
    W: Release files for some repositories could not be retrieved or authenticated. Such repositories are being ignored.
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I am getting quite worried about this.

well i can tell you one thing:
    it's been happening to me too, so it's not your problem, its a yoper.com problem

Just Joined!
    Hmm, looking at the forums, ive got to edit my sources file, but i dont know how to do this.

check the main page, apperently they had over 3Tbytes of traffic, so thier hosting sponsor had to stop the free space as the cost were becoming absured. they have a short list of commands, but i think its just a

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast