Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just started learning about LXDE and want to give it a try but am wondering if anyone has an opinion of the best distro to use LXDE with. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best LXDE Distro?

I just started learning about LXDE and want to give it a try but am wondering if anyone has an opinion of the best distro to use LXDE with. I just want to give it a try so am looking for a good way to get started with it.

You are like me. Posting same thing in two are more forums to make sure you get the reply.

As per my opinion any distro should do. I used it with Debian. It was good. You need not change your distro for this I guess.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

True. You can use whatever distro/DE combo you like. And you can have as many installed as you like. If you have GNOME, IceWM and LXDE all installed, you can switch between them as you like to get the feel of them.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Best LXDE Distro?
    In theory, LXDE should work as well on one distro as another, but if a certain distro uses it by default and the developers for that distro go to the trouble to tweak, refine, and patch LXDE so that it works better with that particular distro, you might find some small advantages. With that in mind, it might be better to look for distros that use LXDE by default.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'm new to Linux but it seemed when i started KDE was the big desktop, Gnome #2, then Xfce was #3 but getting much more popular but has that changed.
    It seems with the changes to KDE it's not as popular as it once was and many are switching to Gnome and that maybe Xfce has grown some but LXDE is becoming very popular and maybe is #3 now. I'm just wondering if this is what's happening now.
    I did ask this on a couple other forums. I got mostly suggestions of Xubuntu or Debian. Are there any distros that use it as the default though?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
    Are there any distros that use it as the default though?
    You can check the bottom of this page for some distros that come with LXDE:

http://www.lxde.org/lxde
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    LXDE is becoming very popular and maybe is #3 now. I'm just wondering if this is what's happening now.
    I'm thinking that LXDE is probably still growing in popularity, but I'm not so sure that it would be considered the number 3 desktop environment, just yet. My guess is that Xfce still has more users. Perhaps someone reading this has actual statistics that they can post showing approximately how many users each environment has, but I'm doubtful that such a list even exists.
    oz

Just Joined!
    SliTaz is a 30 MB download, ~200 MB installed (you can give it 1,5 GB or less of your hd), a snap to boot (in a slow blink of an eye , it's fun, complete and uses LXDE, so you may even help the distro's desktop experience.

I still feel its not a question of distro. Its the question of DE itself.

One of the (major, I should say) complaints against GNOME seems that its overly simplistic. So, it also depends on your interests and technical ability. You may not find all the utilities you may regularly use or accostomed to. In that case, you may have to fiddle around (mostly command line way) to get same functionality.

Say for example, bluetooth. KDE has excellent bluetooth utility. Using it is like eating banana. You may not have similar application in LXDE. Another example may be wireless configuration utility. But all the while these things can be managed if you know the distro well enough.

Anyway, if you are so interested in LXDE, ozar's link is the guide. LXDE itself should know who is giving them enough importance. Try some of them, you may develop liking for one.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Linux Newbie
    I just started learning about LXDE and want to give it a try but am wondering if anyone has an opinion of the best distro to use LXDE with. I just want to give it a try so am looking for a good way to get started with it.
    There is Knoppix and I think it is great. But you could also try SaxenOS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast