Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need help with Openfiler which runs rPath. I'm trying to install on an old PIV with 1Gig RAM computer fresh. I'm running IDE HardDrives and have an ASUS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Linux noob can get dhcp but cannot access network.

Hi, I need help with Openfiler which runs rPath. I'm trying to install on an old PIV with 1Gig RAM computer fresh. I'm running IDE HardDrives and have an ASUS Motherboard with on board Nic as well as an installed Netgear FA311.

Here's the situation. I've installed rPath. Set my IP to 192.168.1.7/24 this is the correct network segment. When pinging I'm getting Destination Host Unreachable. If I unplug the cable it will tell me eth0 is down or eth1 respectively.

I can't see this box on the network and I can't ping out. I'm trying to load the FA311 drivers which on the site I only see them for RHEL. I'm extremely new to Linux so this is just making me want to bash my head into something hard.

What do I do? If I need to install drivers, how do I go about doing that? I have them on floppy.
    Please help!

Just Joined!

Talking

I found the issue. I had 2 nic cards, when they were both enabled, One had the IP and subnet assigned, the other had just the gateway. I used:
    route -n
    ...to discover the problem, and I fixed it by downing the unused Nic:

ifdown eth1

This put the gate on the same line as my IP and now I was able to ping in and out and use the web interface to manage openfiler.

Not bad for my first time on Linux if I do say so myself. I learned alot about Linux today. OH, and I now have a newfound respect for Microsoft I've never had before.