Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to put OpenSuse on an old computer. It has CD drive only. The OS disc I got for OpenSuse requires DVD drive. Now, is there anyway I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

should be an easy one.....

I am trying to put OpenSuse on an old computer. It has CD drive only.

The OS disc I got for OpenSuse requires DVD drive.

Now, is there anyway I can use this disc???? It's no big deal. Something like $5 if not useable.

I was thinking get my new computer with DVD and load it onto a file. Put the file on flash drive, and use that into my old computer. Anyone know if that will work?

oz
    forum.guy
    My personal recommendation would be to pickup a new DVD drive for replacing the CD drive for somewhere around $20 at a store such as NewEgg, or others.
    oz

Linux User
    A lot of the old computers will not boot from a flash drive. I believe that there is a boot floppy program that will change that, but not sure.
    Registered Linux User #420832

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rbig View Post
    I am trying to put OpenSuse on an old computer. It has CD drive only.

The OS disc I got for OpenSuse requires DVD drive.

Now, is there anyway I can use this disc???? It's no big deal. Something like $5 if not useable.

I was thinking get my new computer with DVD and load it onto a file. Put the file on flash drive, and use that into my old computer. Anyone know if that will work?
    You give us so many informations: Old is very relative could you be a bit more precise? Does it have USB? (So that you might borow an external drive) .
    You could also request a free UBUNTU-CD (hxxps://shipit.ubuntu.com/) so you have a CD with an OS and don't have to spend money. Or you could download the smaller opensuse LiveCD to start. But as we don't know what is old for you how shall we be able to say if something will work at all.

PS: for the link you have to change the xx to tt