Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am thinking of going for (live CD) Simply Mepis 8.0. I see it is able to change desktop to KDE. Does that mean the defult is Gnome?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SimplyMepis 8.0

I am thinking of going for (live CD) Simply Mepis 8.0. I see it is able to change desktop to KDE. Does that mean the defult is Gnome?

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm pretty sure that 8.0 uses KDE 3.5.x by default, but maybe someone will correct if that's wrong.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ozar: Many thanks for fast response. If that is so it is right up my street. I hate Gnome so want anything but. This is advertised as 'KDE and much more' and hoped it was not KDE as an alternative as tried to change one before and could not. Again, thanks.

Linux User
    I just installed it and it is KDE 3.5.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Mepis 8

Many thanks for the imput. Tell me, did you download it as an OS or have you got it running within Windows?

Linux User
    I did the full installation. I haven't run Windows for months. The last copy I had (on my laptop) was blown away when it choked on update to SP3 on XP. Trying to keep Windows working wasn't worth the hassle.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Mepis 8

Thanks for the information. And what a coincidence about SP 3. Just today I got a warning: 'certain elements of SP 3 are missing, do you want to continue' - and I could do nothing but continue. I've had SP 3 for ages and never a mention before. I am now going to see if I can download it and hope I don't get the problem you had.