Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by graphicks That's what I use on my desktop and I love it. Its based on Debian Lenny. My printer worked, as well as flash, etc, OOTB. Dreamlinux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by graphicks View Post
    That's what I use on my desktop and I love it. Its based on Debian Lenny. My printer worked, as well as flash, etc, OOTB.
    Dreamlinux
    "System Requirements(minimal): XFCE: Pentium III
    128 MB RAM HDD or SDD/FlashDrive 1GB free."
    Also reported on the website, "Shortly, we will make LXDE, TDE and Fluxbox available as well."
    XfCE doesn't have an XP feel, but it is very configurable if you are willing to dig into it for the changes.

Good luck with the search,
    Greg
    That sounds good

Just Joined!
    well, here's a quick report so far.

I installed debian without too much ado...the gnome it came with ran slugish but not horrific. i intalled fluxbox and icewm.
    got a few different themes to try but none worked well.

since i must have a desktop with icons..nither of those will work. also, configuration was a pain.

(for giggles i installed the xpgnome theme...it is by far the best emulation i've seen to date...)

bottom line? my life has gotten busy again so i'm gjust going to slap xphome on it and take an image. if i leave off the antivirus it runs just dandy and i can reimage it every few days in about 5 minutes.

thanks for the help guys

Just Joined!
    Try slitaz. ITs only a 30 mb download. Clean. when it boots up you can isntall the apps you want. Comes with firefox and a few other things out the gate. Very fast. Might have to fiddle with wifi though. The rest of it is solid and it looks good too they have a fluxbox/openbox setup that looks like gnome but is faster.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by pookiebear View Post
    Try slitaz. ITs only a 30 mb download. Clean. when it boots up you can isntall the apps you want. Comes with firefox and a few other things out the gate. Very fast. Might have to fiddle with wifi though. The rest of it is solid and it looks good too they have a fluxbox/openbox setup that looks like gnome but is faster.

SliTaz isn't bad and fascinating small but it even doesn't have a word-equivalent included I wouldn't recommend it for a intel celeron 1.33 ghz, 256 mb ram.

Many other distros that can do much more will run fine on it.

Just Joined!
    true but abiword is easily installed. At least that was how I did mine.I like abiword better than openoffice document writer anyways.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by pookiebear View Post
    true but abiword is easily installed. At least that was how I did mine.I like abiword better than openoffice document writer anyways.
    I myself prefer also abiword. But I would recommend for the case of a minimalistic distro Puppy.
    SliTaz exist in various languages that's the pro but Puppy has allready included the most common programs and has easy to use wizards for everything so it is easy to use even for beginners.

But here he computer isn't that weak. He has really the choice. Tastes may differ very much. So the best way is to try via LiveCD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2