Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have to apologize in advance...this kind of question screams NoooB. but it's been awhile since my last foray into linux and I got a new (old) laptop that needs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

256 ram 1.33 ghz ......looking for distro

I have to apologize in advance...this kind of question screams NoooB.

but it's been awhile since my last foray into linux and I got a new (old) laptop that needs a distro. the specs are

intel celeron 1.33 ghz
    256 mb ram
    gateway solo 1450

I'm looking at a few new versions of puppy linux and such.
    just wondering if anyone else has hooked up a similar machine lately with good results.

the machine will be used for simple websurfing, email, document writing, spreadsheet work and that's about it.

ideally i'd like the distro to be fairly secure also. (that is, the community development makes a priority of closing holes)

while i'm asking for the moon I'm also looking for a distro that won't always bug me for the root password when changing the configuration. if i'm logged into the limited account "admin" using that account password "adminpass" and i have to SU to make a quick change...i want it to ask me if i want to switch to root and then switch....without demanding that i type a password.

any thoughts appreciated.

AntiX would fly on it though I don't know much about Gateway Laptops.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fldav76 View Post
    I got a new (old) laptop that needs a distro. the specs are

intel celeron 1.33 ghz
    256 mb ram
    gateway solo 1450

I'm looking at a few new versions of puppy linux and such.
    just wondering if anyone else has hooked up a similar machine lately with good results.

ideally i'd like the distro to be fairly secure also. (that is, the community development makes a priority of closing holes)
    Most distros will do on your Laptop.

My personal favorite is Puppy but this one you already considered so no sense to point it again.
    You could try openmamba that is also a very good distribution.
    Mandriva is excellent (but I heard the last one is buggy so better 2009 instead of 2009.1) or Knoppix.

Just Joined!
    thanks to you both.
    I am indeed looking for a distro that doesn't simply "work" but really breezes through normal tasks like boot up and browsing and listing files.

i've had xp etups where it got annoyingly slow just listing the installed programs.

ubuntu and it's friends are still too heavy for my tastes on this little lappy.

puppy seems to run in root 100% of the time...i'd prefer to avoid that...but my bigger problem with puppy is the looks.

i looked at antix and it looked interesting. also looked at crunchbang and a few others.

any more thoughts are greatly appreceated.

(i'm off to learn how to modify the visual themes in floxbox ...i hate the right click full menu...i want it to look like xp)

thanks again

Just Joined!
    i've been cruising about the interwebs again...and i'm thinking of using debian with fluxbox...would my poor little lappy "fly" on that?

i would like to "fly"

You should be fine with fluxbox or even Icewm in Debian. AntiX 8 is based on Debian and Mepis though and comes with Icewm and Fluxbox as default windows managers. Runs Iceweasel as Browser. 2.6.27 kernel. Codecs installed in Browser. I run it just fine with your specs. But it is up to you.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

You can try the last option you mentioned. Debian vanilla is solid, stable and fast.

If you want please take a look at Vector linux and Zenwalk linux too. Less demanding on hardware, solid slackware base, comparitively easy to use for newbies than slackware itself.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 is another that I run on 128 mb ram laptops
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    thanks again for the suggestions. i'll look at as many as i can.

lThis laptop is for my father who has been wanting a portable computer for typeing and reading on the porch. his dektop is winxp using the old win98 theme.

it's very important that he be comfortable with the feel of the laptop. i expect that after i set up the OS (debian etc) he won't have to deal with any configuration...but i need to be able to set up a window manager and desktop enviroment that mimic xp to some degree.

specifically i need to have:

a "start button" analog...style isn't THAT important...but at least a familer pop up menu for listing the availible programs.

the ability to "laso" multiple desktop icons...as in xp. left-click hold and dragforms a box around the icons...then clicking the hilighted icons you can drag them to other locations...including onto the taskbar to drop them in a different window.

the icons on the desktop must be movable (i noticed in the default set up for puppylinux that the icons can only be moved in 1/4 inch jumps...i'm used to (and insist on) moving my icons smoothly (hard to explain).

Bonus: I'd really like an easy way to install themes and such. on day i may get him to switch to using a program dock or some such...and i want that to be easy. no need for "widgets" though...the clock on the task bar is plenty for his needs.
    a good seletion of premade themes would be nice too, but not required.

generally i'm looking for a pleasant and smooth feel...no need for cool effects...just what was standard on xp.

thanks for the help guys.

Look at Dreamlinux

That's what I use on my desktop and I love it. Its based on Debian Lenny. My printer worked, as well as flash, etc, OOTB.
    Dreamlinux
    "System Requirements(minimal): XFCE: Pentium III
    128 MB RAM HDD or SDD/FlashDrive 1GB free."
    Also reported on the website, "Shortly, we will make LXDE, TDE and Fluxbox available as well."
    XfCE doesn't have an XP feel, but it is very configurable if you are willing to dig into it for the changes.

Good luck with the search,
    Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast