Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there. Relatively new to the computer scene but have been running Linux for about a year(most of it completely clueless). Started running Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 and liked the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with changing program for opening files.

Hey there. Relatively new to the computer scene but have been running Linux for about a year(most of it completely clueless). Started running Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 and liked the idea, but lots of lag and grey screens prompted me to upgrade to 8.10 then 9.04 but my computer froze and nothing but 8.04 worked on it again. So anyway, decided to switch to something new after changing computers and now I'm using Freespire 2.0.0. Works great so far, just what I was looking for. Anyway, long story short, I downloaded the program Comix(because I am a comic book nerd) and now every time I try to open a link to download other files and applications it tries to open automatically with Comix instead of something useful that might run the program. Example - snes9x SNES emulator. instead of having the option to save it to a folder or the desktop, Comix gets to it first and it doesn't work. So, how do I go about changing this setup? Thanks in advance...

Just Joined!
    I havn't used that flavor of linux, but as a general rule to change the file-type association, you can:
    1. Right click on the file that is opening in the wrong program
    2. select "Open With..." or "Open With Other Application..."
    3. Select the right application from the list, or type the location of the right application.
    4. Check box that says "Remember File Association"
    5. Click ok.

If those options weren't available, in other OS's (such as fedora) you can:
    1. Right click on the file that is opening in the wrong program
    2. Select "Properties"
    3. Click on the "Open With" tab
    4. Select the program you would like that file type to open with.

Cheers!