Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: PCLinuxOS 2009.1 vs SimplyMepis 8.0

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • PCLinuxOS 2009.1

1 50.00%
  • SimplyMepis 8.0

1 50.00%
I just tried both of them out in virtualbox, but I really haven't gone in depth with these two distros due to the limitations of running on a virtual machine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 vs SimplyMepis 8.0

I just tried both of them out in virtualbox, but I really haven't gone in depth with these two distros due to the limitations of running on a virtual machine. I can't decide which one I want to choose. Stability, software/hardware support, and speed (and probably some others I missed) are important. What are the pros and cons of these two distros?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I've experimented with both in the past but in the end didn't settle on either of them. That said, I will tell you that PCLinuxOS always gave me much more trouble than Mepis ever did. I also liked the package tool that was included Mepis better than that of the other.

I'd personally recommend that you experiment with another distro or two before making your decision. If you liked Simply Mepis, you might also like Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

Hopefully some of the others will post some opinions to help you out. Best of luck with it.
    oz

Linux Guru
    I like AntiX better than the Stock Mepis (so I didn't vote). Matter of personal preference is all. Never Had any Luck with PCLinuxOS even booting up on my hardware.

Since you are running VM. You ,ought or might want to give Mint a spin. It might change your mind also. I run the Fluxbox edition of it also and It just works and flies.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I currently have Ubuntu, Mint, Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Debian, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, and SimplyMepis. I'll be multibooting.

Linux User
    A lot of us do that. I have Ubuntu, Mint, AntiX and Mepis, as well as AntiX 8.2 test1
    Registered Linux User #420832