Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed DSL on my old test machine, a 200mhz Pentium with 64MB RAM. Now I know I shouldn't exactly expect stellar performance out of that, but 10 minutes to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Damn Small Linux boot issues

I installed DSL on my old test machine, a 200mhz Pentium with 64MB RAM. Now I know I shouldn't exactly expect stellar performance out of that, but 10 minutes to boot? Something's wrong there. Win98 didn't even take that long. It's not overheating; the air coming off the CPU fan is actually cold.

During the boot process it spends a terrible amount of time "autodetecting devices" before informing me that autodetection hangs and I should check the BIOS settings. What would I check?

Finally, the system boots into an outrageously slow X desktop. Do not want. For this machine I just want to boot to a command line. How do I fix that?

I'm not sure about why it's too slow.may be check the RAM and CPU requirement for DSL. (Check puppy linux,it might suit you)
    If you want to disable X,(i assume) edit /etc/inittab file.
    Make a file backup before you edit.
    id:5:initdefault:
    Set the default runlevel to 3 rather than 5.
    id:3:initdefault:
    Save, reboot.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Try using different boot options supplied by the DSL Wiki

Cheat Codes - DSL Wiki
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I came across these two links about minimal distro.
    Minimal Linux distros - OLPC
    http://www.minimalinux.org/ttylinux/...User_Guide.pdf
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!

Well I tried runlevel 3 in lilo.conf and that didn't do anything different. Then I got to looking at those other minimal distros. TTYLinux seems more like what I need, but it hangs at generating an SSH key. It does say it will take a while, but 15+ minutes? I don't even need SSH on that box so is there some way to disable that?

I would suspect that something's wrong with the hardware, but Win98 (or 95, I honestly don't remember ) ran fine before I installed DSL.

All I really want to do is boot straight into a command line where I can run a program of mine that will allow me to control I/O over the parallel port and display the status in a nice text interface (likely using ncurses). I don't want to use Windows/DOS for this because I suspect they're doing something odd with the port instead of giving me full control, and I need to know that my program works on Linux.