Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I installed IMedia Linux on a machine and I'm having a hard time connecting to a shared drive on my Windows XP pc. It comes with a GUI file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Imedia Linux Accessing Windows drive

Hi,

I installed IMedia Linux on a machine and I'm having a hard time connecting to a shared drive on my Windows XP pc.

It comes with a GUI file browser that sees things on my network but will not browse all the way to my pc.

I tried this:

mount -t smbfs -o username=winuser,password=mypassword //windowsserver/sharename /mnt/win

but it seems like Samba is not installed (I will look into that, I've never installed it) but I'm still curious about something I see in the stratup scripts:

echo "Starting SMB browser"
    /usr/bin/smbnetfs /mnt/samba -o allow_other,gid=6,default_permissions

I have not found much info on smbnetfs other then it is used to access windows shares and I'd like to know if I could use it to achieve my goal of accessing my windows shared drives.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance; olacelle

Many distros come without samba installed. That is the first thing to try. Once installed your windows share should be found.

HTH
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Just Joined!
    It seems like my first problem was due to the fact that my linux machine was plugged in to a different network than my Windows machine. Once I realised and fixed that I was able to browse to my machine through the Xfce desktop / Places / Windows Network shortcut. but once I clicked on my machine name I got a permission denied message and I don't see any possibility of entering a username / password. I'm getting fed up with linux... and I'm not sure I would recommend IMedia linux but I guess as a Linux newbie I'm not qualified enough to give that kind of advice... but still that's been my experience so far...

Just Joined!
    Problem with windows. I thought I gave all permissions to my share, but I didn't. I had done it under the security tab but not under share / permissions.