Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using Linux for some time but as a GUI user, not a command language person. I have been happy to be without Windows for several years now. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Install Wireless Drivers in Mepis

I have been using Linux for some time but as a GUI user, not a command language person. I have been happy to be without Windows for several years now. Trying to help a friend who has an old laptop become functional again. Just installed Mepis AntX due to low system resources.

My problem. I am only familiar with wired connections and he wants a wireless connection to work. He has an old Quantex TS30T laptop and a Linksys WPC54G version 4, wireless adapter card.

I did the Control Panel--Network--Troubleshoot option and the adapter card was identified, under Linus drivers, ndiswrapper was found, and under Windows drivers a selection of drivers was found, one of which, the .sys file should be used, but I did not see the .inf file.

So, how to proceed to help my friend, I know not. I am a big fan of Linux and mostly it works out of the box, but this feature has me befuddled. Can anyone help?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I don't do any wireless either, but you can check this HowTo thread to get you started off in the right direction:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    oz

Just Joined!

Smile Thanks For Suggested Reading

Ozar,

Will read through suggested material and see if this helps in my search for a solution. Thanks.

Don

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Smile Setting Up Wireless Connection

I did discover that there is a GUI based piece of software that one can download and if you have the Windows proprietary driver, can help you to get your system setup. I will attempt this when the laptop is back in my possession.

The software is called "ndisgtk." It looks simple enough to use, but do sure of its effectiveness until I give it a try. Says using it one has to identify the .inf file from the drivers and get that installed using the GUI tool.

Don (I seem to be replying to my own posting)

Be sure and post the info from the link ozar provided, there may be an easier way to set it it than using ndisgtk. But anyway you want to go is fine with us. Good Luck.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Just curious. I run Antix 8 and I use the Antix tools ceni or wicd to connect with wireless. Did the 2.26.27 kernel not have the module to turn on your friends wireless card. You can open Rox terminal (That one can copy and paste easily) and type in

Code:
    sux lspci
    and enter password. That readout you can copy and paste here and members can see what wireless chipset that that Linskys card has.

Just Joined!

Setting Up Wireless Connection

Sorry guys. I had to end my project. My friend lost his job and had to move to another city to try to find work, so the laptop went with him and I could not work further. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I guess I experienced, "Linux Interruptus."