Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
It might have something to do with QEMU, sadly I know very little about this. Hopeflly someone with some insight might chime in here....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

It might have something to do with QEMU, sadly I know very little about this. Hopeflly someone with some insight might chime in here.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    As I've just said I installed it to the real HW too - same results

Hi marc_smith

It's been a while since my last CRUX install but I think what might be missing here is file system support in the kernel. When you chroot into the new install to compile your custom kernel, make sure there is a (*) by the desired file system support and not (M). As well as I remember, if you compile support for your chosen file system(s) into the kernel and not as a module, there will be no need for setting up an initramfs. When compiling mine, I compiled support for all the major file systems right into the kernel and it boots every time with a grub entry as simple as this:
    Code:
    title		Crux 2.5
    root		(hd0,4)
    kernel		(hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz
    Another thing to check for is to see if you have support for your hard drive's configuration. (SCSI, ATA, SATA, etc). See this page for what jayd512 did to remedy that. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 07-06-2009 at 03:25 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Hello dan and thanks for your answer!

I've read some of the discussions between you and jay, so I guess I was also counting on you and the power of your wisdom! but to the point:
    I think I have everything right in place, but I'll re-check it just to be sure. IIRC I had everything compiled into the kernel, not as a module.
    For now I have also compiled the kernel on 2.4 and guess what: it works ok! boots just like a charm, but I'm not that good in kernel-config analyzing, so I can just post both .config files if you want, so you can eventually see for yourself what's ok and what's left to be done.

Will be back with the news, hopefuly - the good news.

- marc

I think your issue is likely to be that you have not compiled support for the hard drive (or the vm equivalent of the hard drive) in the kernel. Have you tried copying the kernel from the live CD to see if that will boot your vm?

Ed: only saw upto post #11 before I posted ... Dapper Dan has already posted most likely causes of support for either hard drive or filesystem in kernel (can't be a module).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I think your issue is likely to be that you have not compiled support for the hard drive (or the vm equivalent of the hard drive) in the kernel. Have you tried copying the kernel from the live CD to see if that will boot your vm?

Ed: only saw upto post #11 before I posted ... Dapper Dan has already posted most likely causes of support for either hard drive or filesystem in kernel (can't be a module).
    Well, I already did it. There's fs, devices and everything. I;m just completely confused. I haven't tried with cp kernel yet, I need to do it though, so thanks for the suggestion. Kernel config from CRUX v2.4 works ok, but I don't know if I can just use in CRUX 2.5?

Quote Originally Posted by marc_smith View Post
    Kernel config from CRUX v2.4 works ok, but I don't know if I can just use in CRUX 2.5?
    Should be able to. If not then we'll know to look at something else.

You should be able to just copy the .config file over and recompile. You can run menuconfig just to check if there are any new options you want to use (or selected options which have been depreciated) ... but you can probably just compile as is. It won't do any hard to try it anyway .

Ed: snap ! posted a minute after Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Ed: snap ! posted a minute after Dan
    Jonathan183, your expertise in kernel configuration and compiling is greatly valued and appreciated by many of use here on the forum! marc_smith is fortunate to have you helping on this one! I appreciate it as well!

Hmm thanks Dan ... a lucky guess or two does not make me an expert - but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I can only really point out the holes I've fallen down myself. I'm pretty sure your the expert on this one ...

... I'd expect a fresh compiled kernel (built using the old kernel .config) or even old kernel to get past root file system mounts.

I was viewing in guest mode and only looked at the first page before posting in the thread. Can't say how many times I've failed to build the right drivers in the kernel as part of a Gentoo reinstall and ended up with similar messages ... which was why I posted. btw - I only kept having to reconfigure the kernel from scratch each time because I did not cp the .config file before a reinstall (when I say I'm a newbie I'm not being modest!).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast