Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Is CRUX not using the 2.6 kernel yet?? I don't think you'll be able to copy the kernel .config from 2.4 to 2.5, it's gonna crap out on you. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is CRUX not using the 2.6 kernel yet??
    I don't think you'll be able to copy the kernel .config from 2.4 to 2.5, it's gonna crap out on you. I had this problem when going from 2.6.27 to 2.6.30. It just wouldn't work because of too many changes between releases.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hi Mike,

I assumed OP refered to 2.4 and 2.5 versions of Crux rather than 2.4 kernel - I think based on release notes Crux has been using 2.6 kernel since about 2004 (release 2.0 of Crux) - but Dan can probably tell us that.

I also assume since file systems are ext3 or reiserfs rather than something like ext4 that older kernel (already compiled) will support this and boot the system anyway. I guess if uuid references have been used in /etc/fstab they may not be supported ...

CRUX has been using the 2.6 kernel for over five years now. "2.5" is just the latest version number of release. As Jonathan183 has pointed out, it can be a daunting task to get your .config set up where your hardware is supported correctly if you haven't done it before. With both Gentoo and CRUX, this process ultimately leads to a very svelte kernel.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

[solved]

OK Guys, thanks for all the help you provided me with!

I must confess that the problem was just silly me! I was just constantly overlooking submenu of IDE/ATA configuration! can you imagine?
    We're all human, but we certainly have a different degrees of knowledge. I'm rather a *BSD user [especially OpenBSD], and I used to rather straightforward kernel config - I didn't even expect to use menuconfig
    Now I just have to tinker with this config a little bit just to make sure everything is included.
    Dan - you were right of course! It's nothing better than lean, small and fast kernel.

Anyway, Thank you very much. This thread is now solved!

Quote Originally Posted by marc_smith View Post
    Anyway, Thank you very much. This thread is now solved!

Glad to hear it! I'll close it and mark as solved. If you need anything else, just start a new thread. I'm really interested in seeing what you come up with!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3