Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm a virgin in linux so forgive my ignorance. I believe I have two partitions in my savage distro of linux. My new laptop has the copacity for 160 GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HDD Partitioning

I'm a virgin in linux so forgive my ignorance. I believe I have two partitions in my savage distro of linux. My new laptop has the copacity for 160 GB HD and only 20 is being used, (at least thats what my computer says it has the space for!) so I checked into it, and came up with this:
    --------------------------------------
    # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cilindros of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x3c229592

Dispositivo Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdc1 * 1 65 522081 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hdc2 66 2295 17912475 83 Linux
    --------------------------------------
    Now, I believe hdc2 is virgin property being bloody wasted!
    And now my question is: how do I get rid of hdc2 so I can use hdc1 to its full potential?
    At first I thought I was bilked, now I realize it's a software problem.
    Cheers

Hi and Welcome !

Both Linux partitions /dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdc2 are necessary. Do not delete any. You can merge free space in /dev/hdc2 though. Most of Hard disk space is unpartitioned right now. You can create new partitions and use those as storage space or install other operation system(s).

Execute this
    Code:
    df -h
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    fenix@fenix-desktop:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hdc2 18G 7,6G 9,5G 45% /
    varrun 1,5G 236K 1,5G 1% /var/run
    varlock 1,5G 0 1,5G 0% /var/lock
    udev 1,5G 60K 1,5G 1% /dev
    devshm 1,5G 0 1,5G 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda 3,1G 3,1G 0 100% /media/hda

and thanks for your help. This very message is what led me to believe there was something terribly wrong.
    Looking at this better, it only mentions hdc2 here. I'm planning on downloading numerous movies, the britannica dvd, and lamp. I only want this OS currently, sorry to complicate things, how should I organize my life?
    Is hdc1 vs hdc2 just a question of which folder I save my data on?
    I guess I should read more rather trhan this to fully comprehend. Does anyone know where to find a comprehensive lesson on HDs, partitioning, and manipulation on linux?
    Thanks again!
    (I wanna keep things simple, but I want to understand everything too, therein lies the complication.)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Which Linux distro are you using? You can use PartedMagic or GParted Partition Manager to create new partitions. You can create 3 Primary and 60+ Logical Partitions in Single Harddisk.

Just Joined!
    I'm using a despicable distro that came with my laptop called "fenix".
    I tried to install fedora and debian and ubuntu with no success. I then decided to get to know my computer first. I think I should try another distro in a seperate partition.

Lets check your Lappy's specs.
    Post the output of this
    Code:
    sudo lspci
    or
    Code:
    su -
    lspci

Just Joined!
    fenix@fenix-desktop:~$ sudo lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 671MX
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
    00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS968 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 01)
    00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
    00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
    00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
    00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 02)
    00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SATA Controller / IDE mode (rev 03)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
    00:07.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
    00:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    00:0b.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    00:0b.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
    00:0b.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev ff)
    00:0f.0 Audio device: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Azalia Audio Controller
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)

Most of distros should work fine on your machine.
    I tried to install fedora and debian and ubuntu with no success.
    Why installation of those distros was not successful? Could you post any error message?

Just Joined!
    The problem with them all was my computer would completely freeze near the begining or the installation. I had thought it was a hardware problem so I returned my laptop, since it was a week old, and my new laptop has the very same problem, which leads me to conclude that it is something software.
    I know I did try the incorrect environment (I think that's what its called, like powerpc and intel-something and the like) in debian, and since I knew practically nothing about my laptop nor linux, I decided to leave it for another time.
    I've got an Intel Pentium Dual-Core
    4 G RAM DDR2
    Phoenix BIOS 1.07
    System Memory 640 KB
    Extended Memory 3929088 KB
    HDD: 160 GB Samsung HM 160HI-(S1)

Quote Originally Posted by emerset View Post
    fenix@fenix-desktop:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hdc2 18G 7,6G 9,5G 45% /
    ...I'm planning on downloading numerous movies, the britannica dvd, and lamp. I only want this OS currently, sorry to complicate things, how should I organize my life?...
    ...Is hdc1 vs hdc2 just a question of which folder I save my data on?
    Your 512MB hdc1 is swap partition which is required. ~18G hdc2 is your 'root' partition (somewhat equivalent of C: of windows). This too is required. The rest of the disk seems not partitioned. As DC suggested use Gparted or PartedMagic liveCDs to partition the rest of the disk so that you can use it to data storage. Its a graphical program and the steps to be taken are pretty much self-explanatory.

With that hardware specs its difficult to make out why it freezes at the beginning. Wonder whether Ubuntu 'alternate' cd may help you?
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast