Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
That's right, unless you want to install the machine But in this fase, I am just testing to find a driver that suits to this system, so in this case ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

That's right, unless you want to install the machine But in this fase, I am just testing to find a driver that suits to this system, so in this case I could use SSH. But thanks for the side note

Off topic
    Well, to tell you the truth the only Linux I use is Gentoo. And installing Gentoo requires boot up with some Linux CD (GRML works fine for me) and from there SSH will do. No display needed.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Off topic
    Well, to tell you the truth the only Linux I use is Gentoo. And installing Gentoo requires boot up with some Linux CD (GRML works fine for me) and from there SSH will do. No display needed.
    [OFFTOPIC]
    Nice That
    would be perfect if Digium would make such a distribution with Asterisk, but unfortunately, I am not in that position

Albert
    [/OFFTOPIC]

Just Joined!
    That's OK ! However, the very first step to become a guru is to provide more information. Make helping you easier for us! I'm not going to recite everything written is this great source, do you mind looking at it?
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    I can tell you from experience, all this is damn true.
    I'm sure we can solve your problem.
    I know! My problem is: I solve almost every problem on Windows machines, that's my daily bread: I assist computer users who cannot install their router, who have f*cked up at printer installation and who are trying to get rid of a spyware. Most of them tell me the what they THINK is right, but have not any clue on what the difference is between a harddisk and a tower: "Do you take the harddisk with you?" "Yes, and everything else in the tower too".
    So I know what you mean with "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" - my customers don't.
    And well - it's hard for me to admit, that I am not having any knowledge at all to what I am doing now, although it's all computer I am dealing with... I should stop sounding cool and smart.

OK, I will supply more information as soon as I can! Guess that will be later today.

Just Joined!
    Welcome Sovetryne!
    At which point you get stuck?
    Following the README:
    1.) Please ensure cc, the source compiler , version is above 3 by issuing Linux command :
    # gcc -v
    If you do not install the compiler, you will not be able to built Promise driver.
    I write gcc -v at the CLI
    There appears a lot on the screen, starting with "Using built-in specs" and ends with "gcc version 4.1.2. 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)"

Then:
    2.) Please ensure linux kernel source directory is "/usr/src/linux".
    For SuSE EL9 platform, it always release its kernel source in /usr/src/linux-2.6.7-97.
    Please make a link to the appropriate directory, for example:
    # ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.7-97 /usr/src/linux

For RHEL4 platform, it always release its kernel source in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-5.EL.??? which ??? means various kernel images.
    And now I need to know where my kernel is placed. I tried looking /usr/src, but I don't know how I can recognize a kernel. If this was Windows - then I could recognize a bit more (read: the entire list of files), but on Linux, it is just like somebody is speaking Swahili to me.

While I don't know where my kernel is placed, I cannot make a link called /usr/src/linux

I tried googling to find out if there was a command to determine where the kernel is located, but I couldn't find such a command.

This is where I got stuck.

Hmmm ... chances are you do not have sources installed, what is the output of
    ls -l /usr/src
    Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/src/
    total 8
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   22 2009-06-16 15:39 linux -> linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r5
    drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 2009-07-12 14:10 linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r5
    drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4096 2009-07-11 12:29 linux-2.6.30-gentoo-r2
    This is mine. I have sources af two kernel versions installed, as you can see. The one symlink points on is in use.

EDIT: Forgot to tell you. You need configured sources for your actual kernel to build the driver successfully. Not sure how you get these in Red Hat. In Gentoo it's other way around. You get the sources first, build your kernel and install it.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm ... chances are you do not have sources installed, what is the output of
    ls -l /usr/src
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Jul 10 20:47 freepbx-2.5.1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jul 13 22:01 linux ->/src/bin (blinking in red box with white text)
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Jul 11 15:55 redhat

Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/src/
    total 8
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   22 2009-06-16 15:39 linux -> linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r5
    drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 2009-07-12 14:10 linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r5
    drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4096 2009-07-11 12:29 linux-2.6.30-gentoo-r2
    This is mine. I have sources af two kernel versions installed, as you can see. The one symlink points on is in use.

EDIT: Forgot to tell you. You need configured sources for your actual kernel to build the driver successfully. Not sure how you get these in Red Hat. In Gentoo it's other way around. You get the sources first, build your kernel and install it.
    Well, I guess, that once I've located the kernel, I can follow the readme, can't I?

Yep. I'm sure there is a procedure for RH to get sources for your existing kernel installed. I just don't know how.
    For sake of preciseness. We know where your kernel is, we are looking for configured sources.

Just Joined!
    Yep. I'm sure there is a procedure for RH to get sources for your existing kernel installed. I just don't know how.
    For sake of preciseness. We know where your kernel is, we are looking for configured sources.
    OK, haha. Well, at least you know where my kernel is, I still don't know, but that's because I don't know how a kernel looks like.
    I found a directory called /lib/modules which contains two subdirectories: 2.6.18-128.1.16.el5 and 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5
    So I made a link to the 1.16-directory, but a make clean didn't work out; /usr/src/linux/.config: no such file or directory.
    So I tried a locate .config, but that didn't make sence at all...

I am only trying - perhaps doing a lot of irrelevant things. I am still hoping you can help me...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovetryne View Post
    I am only trying - perhaps doing a lot of irrelevant things. I am still hoping you can help me...
    In /usr/src/redhat is a directory called SOURCES. Would that help?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast