Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, just installed a FULL copy of Puppy Linux on a partition, dual booting it with windows. Anyways, after i installed it, i tried to set up internet with no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Puppy Linux help

Well, just installed a FULL copy of Puppy Linux on a partition, dual booting it with windows. Anyways, after i installed it, i tried to set up internet with no success.

It found my driver, when i tested the eth0, it found a network, i even asked it to do the auto dhcp or what ever its called, with was done with no problems.

After all this, i attempted to go back on the net, but it told me the address was wrong. I have no idea why the internet doesn't work. I'm not using wifi, this computer has a modem, through a cable box.

I opened up the console, typed in route, and I do have an ip. Any thoughts?

Linux Newbie
    Please tell us which version of Puppy do you have.
    I never had a similar problem with Puppy but I am curious to find the solution because someone who has problems with Puppy that hurts.
    Please tell us also about the modem (some Cable-Modems do have a standby button if you touch it (even not knowing it) you don't have internet. When you press this button again Internet returns.

Just Joined!
    Im using the newest version of puppy. My modem is the surfboard modem, and, after reinstalling puppy (after reformatting), i get a different problem....when i setup the connection, the shell simply times out, and stops the connection.

I have checked the eth0, and it is up...

Any ideas?

2 different problems on 2 installs might suggest that md5sum isn't correct (did you check it?) or maybe a bad burn at to fast of a speed maybe. Computerphil and I both run Puppy and even though Puppy is pretty forgiving and installed ok, something sounds a little fishy. Can you post your md5sum nimbers so we can see if they match maybe? Also is this the 4.12 standard or 4.12 retro version?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home