Find the answer to your Linux question:
I created a DHCP pool on my Centos 5.3. In my dhcpd.conf, one line says: Code: range 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.199; Why is the first client, that requests an IP address, getting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DHCP pool start and end

I created a DHCP pool on my Centos 5.3.
    In my dhcpd.conf, one line says:

Code:
    range 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.199;
    Why is the first client, that requests an IP address, getting the last available in the pool, and the second clients getting the second last availble address? Or in other words: why gets the first client 192.168.1.199, the second 192.168.1.198, and so on? Can I change this?

Linux Guru
    From the dhcpd.conf(5) man page:

The DHCP server generates the list of available IP addresses from a hash table. This means that the addresses are not sorted in any particular order, and so it is not possible to predict the order in which the DHCP server will allocate IP addresses. Users of previous versions of the ISC DHCP server may have become accustomed to the DHCP server allocating IP addresses in ascending order, but this is no longer possible, and there is no way to configure this behavior with version 3 of the ISC DHCP server.
    If you have version 3 of the DHCP server package, you can't control the IP allocation order.

Just Joined!
    OK thanks. Then I know, I didn't do something strange And I know, I don't have to find an answer on how to have influence on the DHCP pool.

Albert