Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
how should i install puppy linux when the laptop i am trying to install it on will not boot form a cd and only supports the floppy and hard disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing puppy linux to and old laptop

how should i install puppy linux when the laptop i am trying to install it on will not boot form a cd and only supports the floppy and hard disk booting when the floppy dosent work and the usb port dosent either ive looked in the bios and theres no cd booting option. i was thinking about boting form the hard drive and placeing the puppy files on the drive and rebooting, will this cause any problems also to make this work do i have to edit the winlows boot loader
    if so how do i do this
    are there any other ways to do this
    btw the laptop has windows xp on it and came with 98 but that was removed by xp and the laptop is an old pre 2000 toshiba with 64mb ram and a 300mhz prossor, the cd and floppy arre external and the only way to fit a device to the laptop is by pcma
    thanks

You will either need for starters to make sure you downloaded a Puppy 3.01 or Puppy 2.1X iso. The New Puppy 4.2 won't work with older hardware like yours.

My Tutorial for makeing a smart boot manager floppy and installing Puppy 2.15 and Damn Small Linux

Puppy

Damn Small Linux
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    i have the retro version and was told it should work but i cannot use floppys or cds as they dont work the cd drive isnt picked up on boot so it cant be booted from (the bios dosent support it anyway) and the floppy doesnt work i also cannot boot from usb as the usb port dosent work
    is there any way to put it on the hard drive and boot it form there by editing the boot loader
    thanks

You can google and see if there is a bios upgrade for your bios. More Likely than not you are going to have to have some kind of way to boot up a floppy drive to upgrade the bios or boot into Windows to upgrade the bios in my experience, If bios doesn't have a cdrom entry for booting (like the compaq I did in the tutorial) then you need to use a outside boot order manager to control booting from cdrom or usb or pcmcia. I remember that PCMCIA Cdrom was a boot option on Smart boot Managers Window. But you need to be able to boot up from floppy drive to use it. Sorry. Maybe someone else will know a little more than me. If you have windows xp working and can get on the internet there is a way to boot from iso downloaded on Desktop I think. Let me see if I can find the documentation for that. Another option maybe is a Debian Net install but I have never done it and I am not sure your hardware will support it though I don't know for sure. Some other member might shine some light on this issue for ya.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Last option I can think of is to pull the hardrive out of your Laptop and hook it up to another computer and Install Puppy to it via a hardrive adapter (like usb to ide)
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrah-95 View Post
    how should i install puppy linux when the laptop i am trying to install it on will not boot form a cd .....
    Did you already enter into BIOS and see Boot-sequence?
    (I've never seen a PC or laptop that has an CD and wasn't able to boot from it)

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Last option I can think of is to pull the hardrive out of your Laptop and hook it up to another computer and Install Puppy to it via a hardrive adapter (like usb to ide)
    This works perfectly - I used this trick when there wasn't enough RAM to boot LiveCD.

(I've never seen a PC or laptop that has an CD and wasn't able to boot from it)
    A compaq laptop that had a cdrom that I installed Puppy didn't have that capability Phil. That was why I had to use Smart Boot manager floppy.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast