Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
no the usb dosent work for a usb external and the floppy that came with it dosent read any disks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no the usb dosent work for a usb external and the floppy that came with it dosent read any disks

Without a bootable/unreadble floppy drive. I can't give you any suggestion other than to pull the hardrive on your computer. Use a USB to IDE Hardrive adapter. They only cost a couple bucks. Then use another computer to boot up Puppy with. Use the USB to IDE adapter to hook up your hardrive to the computer you have Puppy booted up on. And tell Puppy to install to your Hardrive that is connected to the USB to IDE Adapter.

It would be advisable to hook up the USB to IDE adapter with your hardrive connected before you boot up Puppy on the other computer so Puppy sees it on Bootup and mounts it while running live.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    i whould do that but the laptop is that old that to remmove the hard drive i whould have to unscrew the whole bottum of the laptop and the screws are all unuseable so i have to do it with only what is on that laptop
    thanks

Just Joined!
    so your saying that there is no way to edit the boot loader to allow booting of linux with out chain loading another bootloader
    if so then it looks like ill just have to dump the laptop
    thanks for your help anyway

Quote Originally Posted by jarrah-95 View Post
    so your saying that there is no way to edit the boot loader to allow booting of linux with out chain loading another bootloader
    if so then it looks like ill just have to dump the laptop
    thanks for your help anyway
    You need a working floppy drive to make a bootable floppy that will bypass bios and tell the laptop to boot up cdrom. You won't be able to even upgrade bios even without a working bootable floppy drive on that laptop if a bios upgrade was available.

So yeah, if it works with Windows 98, I'd either dump it. Or replace the floppy drive (if I wanted to keep it that is).

I repair Laptops as a hobby and when it gets to the point that a Laptop requires more money than it is worth to fix it. It becomes a parts unit for me or I get rid of it.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2