Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
what do i have to do to the boot.ini to be able to boot puppy linux on an old windows 98 pc runnung windows xp the files are stored in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how do i edit the windows boot loader to alow me to boot puppy linux

what do i have to do to the boot.ini to be able to boot puppy linux on an old windows 98 pc runnung windows xp the files are stored in c:\puppy if that helps
    everything i have done it eather re boots or asks me for some windows file
    thanks

Google is your friend

This is the first hit I got, guess what, there is more!

How do I dual boot Windows and Linux from NTLoader?

Just Joined!
    thanks but i need to do it without downloading anything as the computer doesnt have the internet and doesnt have a working usb port

Quote Originally Posted by jarrah-95 View Post
    thanks but i need to do it without downloading anything as the computer doesnt have the internet and doesnt have a working usb port
    What you want to download?

Just Joined!
    the link you sent me says that i need to download something or use a disk for a linux system that wont work all i want to do is put puppy linux in the boot loader

How did you install Puppy Linux. You were given a choice at install. Was it a frugal install or a full install. If a full install on It's own partition you can put Windows on Puppies Grub boot loader by editing /boot.grub/menu.lst and making sure that this entry

title Windows Xp
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

If entry is already there but has a # in front of each line then take out the # on each line of above entry and save and exit changes.
    is added to the menu lst. in grub if you have installed grub boot loader during install. If a frugal install you can look at my blog entry here to see if you installed Puppy in the same fashion I did as a dual boot inside of Windows.
    Yet Another Technology Site: Compaq Armada 1540DM running Windows 95 and Linux Puppy 2.15CE
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    i havent been able to install it yet as i cannot boot it onto my laptop as the boot loader wont let me boot it. so i havent been able to install it at all the files that are on the disk have been moved onto the hard drive

i havent been able to install it yet as i cannot boot it onto my laptop as the boot loader wont let me boot it
    Are you saying that your bios is not set to boot cdrom 1st before the hardrive?
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    i cannot boot from a cd as the laptop is to old to support it i have checked the bios

Can you boot from a floppy drive?
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast