Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any way to make KDE 4.xxx behave like the KDE 3.5 series as to when a device is plugged in and or Media inserted into an optical drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE 4's Inserted USB or Media....

Is there any way to make KDE 4.xxx behave like the KDE 3.5 series as to when a device is plugged in and or Media inserted into an optical drive to show up on the desktop (not device notifier) so then I can open it and select what to do with it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickt1862 View Post
    Is there any way to make KDE 4.xxx behave like the KDE 3.5 series as to when a device is plugged in and or Media inserted into an optical drive to show up on the desktop (not device notifier) so then I can open it and select what to do with it?

Thanks
    Not that I'm aware of. But all you have to do is click on the 'device notifier' icon it will list the media that is mounted, then if you click on the media that you want to open it will open a box with options of what you want to do; like open with Dolphin...etc...

Cheers!!!

I'm using Mandriva 2009 (i think it's KDE 4 or 4.x ) I used to get notification whenever I pluggin a CD or USB.So KDE4x has that feature.

May be try suggestion by eTech97 .
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by eTech97 View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. But all you have to do is click on the 'device notifier' icon it will list the media that is mounted, then if you click on the media that you want to open it will open a box with options of what you want to do; like open with Dolphin...etc...

Cheers!!!
    Hi - That's not the problem. The problem is that not all the options that the OS already has installed are listed for me to open the mounted device with. Like if Amarok (which 2.0 stinks IMO) is installed and I mount am audio CD, the Device notifier does not list it at all as an option to open it with.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    I'm using Mandriva 2009 (i think it's KDE 4 or 4.x ) I used to get notification whenever I pluggin a CD or USB.So KDE4x has that feature.

May be try suggestion by eTech97 .
    I get notification but as my prior response not all OS installed application options are available via device notifier.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickt1862 View Post
    I get notification but as my prior response not all OS installed application options are available via device notifier.
    This is a reply to an old post, but I think I figured out what you need to look at:

In KDE4, you can go to the "System Settings" program, click the "Advanced" tab on the upper left, and then choose "File Associations".

This is where you can configure all kinds of applications to open for a given device.

There's only one minor problem. For things like the Inode -> Directory option, you can choose a variety of things to open a directory with. (I personally have Dolphin, rawstudio, kid3 and gwenview configured) But the highest priority one will be the one executed when you choose "Open with Dolphin" from the device notifier menu. For a while, that was kid3, which was very problematic for obvious reasons.

HTH

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by p0tato View Post
    This is a reply to an old post, but I think I figured out what you need to look at:

In KDE4, you can go to the "System Settings" program, click the "Advanced" tab on the upper left, and then choose "File Associations".

This is where you can configure all kinds of applications to open for a given device.

There's only one minor problem. For things like the Inode -> Directory option, you can choose a variety of things to open a directory with. (I personally have Dolphin, rawstudio, kid3 and gwenview configured) But the highest priority one will be the one executed when you choose "Open with Dolphin" from the device notifier menu. For a while, that was kid3, which was very problematic for obvious reasons.

HTH
    Not to worry - I'm still reading it!

Thanks for your response as I'll try to install another KDE 4.xx distro soon and try to apply what you suggested.

Thanks again!