Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having problems playing CD or DVD in Puppy in both 4.1.2 and 4.2.1. I have used the CD/DVD drive wizard to mount to /dev/Sr0 and have tried using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Puppy Linux CD/DVD problem

I am having problems playing CD or DVD in Puppy in both 4.1.2 and 4.2.1. I have used the CD/DVD drive wizard to mount to /dev/Sr0 and have tried using gxine, pmusic and mplayer (which crashed my 4.1.2...).

I installed vlc from dotpups: multimedia/VLC-0.8.6.pup. I managed to play a dvd, but no sound, and there doesn't appear to be another vlc compatible with puppy.

So basically, I'm not doing very well. Has anyone had any luck playing CD/DVD in Puppy? I'm currently using 4.2.1 (the latest release).

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Sorry, can't be much help to you.

I used puppy linux latest stable release on live USB and though it booting slow as a slug, it worked.

Is there a particular reason you want to use puppy linux? Maybe try other distros via live CDs/USBs.

Just Joined!
    I'm just surprised that the DVD player isn't picking up CD or DVD's in Puppy, so there's obviously something wrong somewhere, as I have XP with VLC media player, on a different partition in the same HDD, and everything is OK...