Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all So in a rush I decided to download the zipped VLC package from the Acer website and what a big mistake that was. After the install and reboot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire One Linpus with no menu

Hi all

So in a rush I decided to download the zipped VLC package from the Acer website and what a big mistake that was. After the install and reboot all I have is the XFCE wallpaper and, if I don't click or press any buttons before I select, the search bar.

I did enable right-click menus but now that doesn't work. Ctrl+Alt+F2 doesn't work any more either. I am fortunate enough to use Firefox as a pseudo file managers, being able to search through the root and such but I have no idea how to restore the menu or get into anything, even start the terminal. Oh and did I mention I now have 4 workspaces and can't navigate between them?

How I wish I wasn't in a rush and installed the codecs like a proper UNIX user, but in my haste to go out I downloaded files from Acer and regretting it since.

Any ideas on how to, at the very least, bring up the terminal or do a system restore? I can do a full re-install, as I've got nothing on there I want to keep, but there must be a way to fix my muppetry, isn't there?

Hello and Welcome.
    I'm not real familiar with Xandros, but I would suggest that you try creating a new user on the machine and see if the new user is experiencing the same problems.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    OK, so how do I go about that considering it just boots up into the default user? Sorry for being awkward, just means the kids will have to user the desktop for tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chomicz View Post
    OK, so how do I go about that considering it just boots up into the default user? Sorry for being awkward, just means the kids will have to user the desktop for tonight.
    I was really hoping you wouldn't say that. I was hoping that it would just boot into a login screen or something. Can you try using Alt+F2 for the run program dialog? At least that's what it is on my system.
    Try running terminal command and from there maybe you can move/rename/delete the /home/username/ directory to start from scratch.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I recommend using Ubuntu Easy Peasy or Ubuntu Netbook Remix.(official)
    Also, Kubuntu Netbook Remix looks totally awesome and its first version will be available at the end of October.

Everything works out the box: wireless, camera, codecs are preinstalled, flash is preinstalled and it has Firefox 3, OpenOffice 3, Pidgin,VLC and Songbird!!!
    You have to do NOTHING after the installation! It really rocks
    The official version does not come with pre-installed codecs I think, but it is very easy to install them.

The installation is really easy* and in case you have a question, everyone in the forums can help you,
    since Ubuntu (on which it is based) is probably the most popular Linux distribution.

To make a live-usb you can use Unetbootin, which works on either Linux or Windows.

* At some point it will ask you to make partitions.

-If you have the 80+GB HDD version,make:
    1GB swap
    10GB of type ext3, mount point /
    The rest make it type ext3, mount point /home

-If you have the 8GB SSD version make:
    1GB swap
    the rest type etx2, mount point /
    Be careful, it must be ext2 and NOT ext3.