Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I got my new Eee 900a running the stock linux installation last Monday (14th), and decided to make sure all the software was up to date. So I downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Eee Updates Really Stuck!!!

Hi,
    I got my new Eee 900a running the stock linux installation last Monday (14th), and decided to make sure all the software was up to date. So I downloaded and selected to download the relevant updates for it. One week later they're still installing! I haven't turned off the PC during this time, so it's not like it's not been given long enough.
    Applications still run, so I can still use it, however the updates take over control of Sudo. I've tried "sudo bash" and other techniques to try and gain control so I can install other applications, but I'm locked out.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I don't really want to go through all the hassle of using the recovery CD to reinstall the OS, but if that's what it comes to as a last ditch attempt...
    Thank you in advance =]

If using the stock Xandros Easy Desktop. Shutdown computer. And since you just got it and have not done much with it. Power on and hit F9 and it will do a system restore to a virgin Xandros clean re-install. First thing when you go into updater is to maybe update skype and that is about it. Then turn off update by ticking on checkbox in updater. I run Xandros Easy Mode on Asus EEE 900. After I did skype update and turned off updater. It left me with a solid 1 gig of free space on 4 gig SSD. And you are right. No need to use Asus Updater. Any Updating should be done with Debian Etch repositories. And that should be only used to install packages like gparted and such.

EeeUser Forum / 901 stopped working / hanging on installing Updates

You should also cruise the wiki I will supply below.

Welcome to EeeUser! [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

By the way. Howdy and Welcome to the forum. I strongly suggest you join the forum also in above links also. Lots of experienced eee pc users there running linux and windows.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home