Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am trying to get crontab working on my damn small linux machine. I have it set to " 00 00 * * * root /sbin/shutdown -h now " ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Damn Small Linux Crontab Help

Hello,
    I am trying to get crontab working on my damn small linux machine. I have it set to " 00 00 * * * root /sbin/shutdown -h now " in the /opt/crontab.
    It does not work though, I even tried the " crontab -e " and " crontab -l " commands in terminal but it didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running from the hard drive, and it is probably and earlier release of DSL seeing i didn't update it. I would also like to know if it is possible to update the OS without having to reinstall it completely.

Thanks,
    Madcamper

I am not a cron expert so I will leave that for some one else. As far as Updating Damn Small Linux. It uses the 2.4 Kernel. If you wish to run a Newer kernel you might want to check into Tiny Core Linux.

Tiny Core Linux is a very small (10 MB) minimal Linux GUI Desktop. It is based on Linux 2.6 kernel, Busybox, Tiny X, and Fltk.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Slitaz is another maintained distro that might be a viable option if your hardware specs are up to it. It has the advantage of being easily up datable without doing a reinstall.

I mention these 2 distros because Damn Small Linux looks to be not maintained any more. The guy from Tiny Core used to be on Damn Small Linuxes team of Developers.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    alright thanks, I'll look into them. I talked to someone on irc about it and it seems my DSL install is really screwed up. I can't "man" most commands. So now I'm working on installing a new distro without erasing my personal back up files.