Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a friend who has Xandros on a desktop machine who is too far away from the router, so needs to connect wirelessly. I'm familiar with a few linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless - not connecting

I have a friend who has Xandros on a desktop machine who is too far away from the router, so needs to connect wirelessly. I'm familiar with a few linux distros, but not Xandros, but I figured I could help since I'm pretty good with Kubuntu.

Well, nevertheless, I'm not as good as I thought I was. Here's the setup:

Xandros Pro 4 using kernel 2.6.18-dcc.uni using wpa_supplicant 0.5.5

I installed a WG311 from linksys since it seemed like people in various linux forums were able to get it working.

And, indeed, after doing the ndiswrapper thing (ie, installing the windows driver), I can do a
    $iwlist eth0 scanning
    and it will show the two wireless access points and various information about them.

Unfortunately, that's it; it will NOT connect to the WPA SSID (which uses a passphrase). It seems attached to eth0 (instead of wlan or ath0) and the "built in" network management tool (which is pretty good by the way), seems to allow making a WPA connection.

Some interesting things to note is the the SSID has a space in it and when I looked at the xandros-created /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.eth0, it only put the first word in the "network = {" part. I tried fixing it and rerunning wpa_supplicant -Bw -c/<file> -dd , but it still couldn't get an ip address.
    I also tried "forcing" an ip address with ifconfig eth0 <address>, still nothing -- of course I didn't set a gateway or DNS server because I couldn't remember how to do that.

I tried hand connecting a number of ways including using dhclient on eth0, but it doesn't get an IP address.

Any suggestions?
    Kurt

I'd have to say, start here and post the required info back into this thread.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.