Find the answer to your Linux question:
I saw this there, the Hardened Linux From Scratch. I do a lot of things involving a certain kind of like a thunderstorm or downpour of bits to get certain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

is HLFS really useful?

I saw this there, the Hardened Linux From Scratch. I do a lot of things involving a certain kind of like a thunderstorm or downpour of bits to get certain audible things (read between the lines). Obviously anonymity is a big issue here. In general, it's a good idea to be paranoid on the internet these days, even if not using this certain downpour. But I am not running any servers. I am using an asus eee 900a, and I am somewhat mobile with it, perhaps using other networks... not illegally really but whatever. So for a mobile laptop peacedriver who really won't set up servers (after all, I'll be on unroutable ip's that won't necessarily forward their ports), is the use of hlfs really useful say over regular lfs? What do things like pax and grsecurity and all those packages offer? Can any of those things offer anonymity in any form?

Short answer, no, the average user probably doesn't need hardened linux.

Good luck building LFS or HLFS. That's quite a project for someone just starting out. I looked at LFS once, but decided I had neither the time nor energy to do it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Short answer, no, the average user probably doesn't need hardened linux.

Good luck building LFS or HLFS. That's quite a project for someone just starting out. I looked at LFS once, but decided I had neither the time nor energy to do it.
    It may take an entire week or two just to have a very basic LFS setup.