Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im new to linux and need some help. Have installed Easy Peasy on my eee 1000h. It works, but i want some other programs also. Trying to install KCheckGMail, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

guide for installing programs?

Hi, im new to linux and need some help.

Have installed Easy Peasy on my eee 1000h. It works, but i want some other programs also.

Trying to install KCheckGMail, but dont know how.
    This is what to do
    # ./configure ...
    # make install

But how?
    In the Terminal i try to write, but wont work. How to get to the right folder? Like dos cd foldername?

Second question:
    - How to get Pidgin and other programs to startup when computer starts?

To install programs in Linux you should use a package manager. A package manager will download and install all your software for you and keep it up to date too. Your package manager will be listed under on of the tabs on the left hand side. I can't remember which one but you are looking for "Synaptic package manager"
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    thnks but how do i open the downloaded file in synaptic package manager?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You just search for the program that you want select it and click install. Synaptic will install it for you and then an icon will appear in the correct section on the desktop. For instance if you installed Pidgin it would appear under "Internet"
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    cant find it. I downloaded it to desktop. Do i have to do something more before search for it?

You don't download anything, your package manager will do that for you. Let me grab my laptop so I can tell you exactly how to sort this...

Right, on the left hand side of the desktop click on the "Administration" tab. In there there will be the program "Synaptic package manager", open that. This program is the first place you need to come to when you want to install new software. Doing a quick search shows that kcheckgmail isn't available. This is unusual and a bit annoying but we can get around that.

You can download the package for kcheckgmail from http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...7.4-1_i386.deb

Once you have downloaded that double click it and it will install it for you
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: kdebase-bin (>= 3.2)

is the result when i try to install.