Find the answer to your Linux question:
when I use xandros after a period of time it crashes,nothen works I have to turn it off with the power button,are ther a way to repair os with my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

system crashes

when I use xandros after a period of time it crashes,nothen works I have to turn it off with the power button,are ther a way to repair os with my xandroes os cd thanks

You have to give a bit more information. What do you mean by crash? Does system freeze up? Does it display any error message? Does pressing Alt+Ctrl+F3 switch to command line mode?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    system freezes up,have not tried alt+ctrl+f3 I have xandros on dualboot with win vista so I have to be carefull how I work on this problem for fear of messing the vista up,no there is no error message it just quits working

Nothing will go wrong with Vista unless you change any thing in Partition Table.

What does happen when you select Xandros at startup menu? Try pressing Alt+Ctrl+F3 and let us know.

Just Joined!
    when I select xandros at startup it boots into xandros just fine the problem is that system freezes completely up after a few hours of use,could mozille browser be causing this as it started giving problems first when this started.

You are providing some info now.
    There could a lot of reasons. Wrong plug-in in Firefox can freeze Firefox but system freeze cause of that is rare.

Lets check if Mozilla is the real culprit.

Backup bookmarks of Browser. Rename .mozilla folder to .mozilla.bak in your /home/user_id folder. Browser will create new .mozilla folder. It won't show any bookmarks or installed extensions/Add-ons.
    Code:
    cd ~
    mv .mozilla .mozilla.bak
    Launch mozilla browser. Check if system freeze up again.

primary cause for most system freezing like what you are describing is a heat issue
    when a cpu or memory stick starts to overheat system freezes are likely as you describe that it freezes after a few hours. so you have to use the power button to force shutdown, usually a program freezes and you can still move the mouse around you can usually run xkill (from the run command)and force the program to close

it is a good practice to do every 3 to 6 months open the case and use canned air to blow the dust out making sure that you get the dust out of the cooling fins on the cpu heatsink too much coffee

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    primary cause for most system freezing like what you are describing is a heat issue
    when a cpu or memory stick starts to overheat system freezes are likely as you describe that it freezes after a few hours. so you have to use the power button to force shutdown, usually a program freezes and you can still move the mouse around you can usually run xkill (from the run command)and force the program to close

it is a good practice to do every 3 to 6 months open the case and use canned air to blow the dust out making sure that you get the dust out of the cooling fins on the cpu heatsink too much coffee
    I have no lock up when its booted into windows,I would like to replace xandros with a different linux os but am afraid I will mess up the duel boot as its been so long sense I did these install I forgot how I did it.

You don't have to do anything special for new distro installation. Just install new Linux distro over existing Linux partition(s). Linux installer will take care of dual boot. Its default in all Linux distros.